Director, Mixed-Use Operations
Position Type: Full Time
State: Virginia City: Arlington
Zip Code: 22203
AvalonBay Communities, Inc., an equity REIT, has a long-term track record of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing distinctive apartment homes in some of the best U.S. markets, and delivering outsized, risk-adjusted returns to shareholders. With equal parts experience and vision, we’ve established a leadership position rooted in our purpose of creating a better way to live and that is always focused on building value for the long term.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
This position can be based in Arlington, VA, Southern California or NYC Metro areas.
The Director of Mixed-Use Operations is primarily responsible for managing the operations of the retail component of AvalonBay’s nationwide portfolio of mixed-use communities. The Director, Mixed-Use Operations will report directly to the Senior Director, Mixed-Use. As part of the Mixed-Use Team, they will work with Residential Services and Asset Management, as well as directly with retail tenants to solve day-to-day matters as they arise, and manage overall portfolio metrics including Accounts Receivable and other collections. They must be highly customer service-oriented, comfortable taking initiative, and a team player with a positive attitude who is willing to support team efforts at every opportunity. They need to be a problem solver with the ability to remain flexible and positive when working with challenges as they arise.
Specific responsibilities include the following:
- Initiate and maintain strong relationships with all regional Residential Services Property Operations Directors and their teams
- Establish and reinforce first-class, customer-service oriented hospitality mindset and communications in partnership with all mixed-use stakeholders, including Residential Services, retail tenants, Asset Management, etc.
- Promote adoption of retail training materials created for Residential Services, and offer more high-touch training opportunities for on-site associates at mixed-use properties as applicable
- Work directly with tenants on all escalated AR balances and requests for rent relief. Discuss with tenants, propose work-out solutions and present proposals to Senior Director, Mixed Use for review/approval. Manage each request and follow through to resolution
- Review on-site issues as raised by Residential Services and/or retail tenants. Advise and coordinate between Residential Services and retail tenant. Travel to properties and/or coordinate with regional teams (Capital Projects, Residential Services) or 3rd party vendors to assess and advise as needed
- Act as retail tenants’ primary escalation contact from opening onward
- Holds bi-monthly/quarterly check-in meetings with Residential Services managers and teams by region
- Maintain strong relationships with all regional Property Operations Directors
- Undertake strategic projects to improve process, procedure and efficiency throughout the Mixed-Use platform
- Provide input into the annual budgeting process, including proposing capex considerations (upgrades/renovations of shared infrastructure such as trash enclosures or common areas), bad debt or tenancy-related issues, and operational efficiencies
- Hospitality-driven in all relationship management with internal and external stakeholders
- Advise on the design of new development projects for Operational considerations specific to Mixed-Use
- 8+ years of experience within the commercial real estate or retail industry
- Bachelor's Degree required
- Asset management and/or operations experience/knowledge a plus
- Strong communication and time management skills
- Travel required up to 30% of the time. Must be able to drive/fly to properties for regular inspections, sometimes with short notice
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits — health, dental and vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more. Click on Benefits for information.
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay makes employment decisions without regard to a person’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including characteristics or testing), citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by the law.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
For California residents, if you elect to apply to AvalonBay you accept the AvalonBay California Personnel Privacy NoticeJob ID 30211