Human Resources Coordinator
Virginia Beach, VA
Position Type: Temporary (Full Time)
State: Virginia City: Virginia Beach
Zip Code: 23452
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
The primary role of the Human Resources Coordinator includes, but is not limited to, coordinating, administering, and processing separation requests; serve as first point of contact for associate questions and requests; compile and distribute required separation documents within state-specific timelines; other duties as assigned. Specifically, this role will be responsible for:
- Ensuring accurate and timely processing of all separation transactions in AvalonBay’s Payroll system, PeopleSoft, ensuring submittals align with AVB practice and in compliance of all state and federal laws.
- Completing unemployment requests and ensuring any additional steps are fulfilled by the regional HR Manager.
- Distributing separation paperwork and state-specific separation notices within required timeframes.
- Triage associate requests for information by ensuring the right department/associate receives the request and that it is completed timely. This also includes fulfilling pay transparency requests.
- Assisting in obtaining information (subpoenas, discovery requests, investigations, associate files etc.) with HR Manager review.
- Process other associate transactions as needed.
- Conduct quarterly audits of associate information to ensure accuracy and compliance.
- All other tasks as assigned by the manager.
This is a long-term, temporary position that receives full benefits and is tied to a special project. This position will end upon completion of the project which expected in early to mid 2024, with a potential to extend.
In accordance with AvalonBay policy, if your performance during your employment meets expectations, you may be eligible to apply for other open positions upon completion of the project.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- High School Diploma or equivalent (GED) required.
- Two years of administrative experience. HR experience preferred.
- Excellent organizational skills including information monitoring and follow up skills.
- Excellent time management skills including the ability to adapt to change and pivot quickly from one type of task to another.
- Demonstrated ability to deliver customer service that regularly exceeds expectations. This requires that the associate be accessible, responsive, and free from unreasonable or sustained personal distractions and interruptions during their scheduled hours to represent the same professional onsite work environment as closely as possible while working from home.
- Ability to complete repetitive administrative tasks with high attention to detail and accuracy.
- Ability to manage multiple on-going tasks and schedules and adhere to and enforce required deadlines.
- Ability to speak, read and write English as demonstrated by clear and concise written reports and verbal communications.
- Proficiency to navigate, create and maintain Microsoft Office applications such as Word, and Excel.
- Proficiency in navigating between different systems, including searching, entering and verifying data from different systems.
- Ability to problem solve including defining a problem, working with others to gather information to identify solutions, coordinating with others to execute on a solution.
- PeopleSoft database experience preferred but not required.
Home equipment and workspace requirement:
- A laptop computer and an additional monitor are provided by AvalonBay.
- A dedicated workspace that is free from distractions and safe and ergonomically sound, set up at the associate’s cost, unless otherwise required by law. The associate is responsible for maintaining adequate business tools deemed necessary to fully perform job functions. This includes an adequate level of security to safeguard unauthorized access to AvalonBay equipment or confidential or other sensitive AvalonBay information and records.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values -a Commitment to Integrity, a Spirit of Caring, and a Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay makes employment decisions without regard to a person’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including characteristics or testing), citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by the law.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
For California residents, if you elect to apply to AvalonBay you accept the AvalonBay California Personnel Privacy NoticeJob ID 29899