Sr. Payroll Specialist
Position Type: Full Time
State: Virginia City: Arlington
Zip Code: 22203
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
This position is responsible for enhancing procedures for the preparation, documentation, and disbursement of the weekly payroll checks and payroll-related interfaces. This position also acts as primary backup to the Manager Payroll with regard to the processing of the biweekly payroll.
- Verifies that all associate action changes, bonuses, terminations, retro-pays, W-4 changes, direct deposits, wage orders, and housing benefits have been entered into the payroll system accurately and timely.
- Develops, recommends, and implements process improvements when identified.
- Verifies that time records have been entered and imported into the payroll system accurately and timely.
- Processes all aspects of the Weekly and Bi-weekly payroll.
- Acts as accounting liaison to ensure that the payroll and weekly wage garnishments have been reconciled, assists in the research of payroll issues with Accounting, assists Cash Manager in reconciling the payroll bank account, and reviews and notifies associates of outstanding checklists on a quarterly basis
- Reviews monthly billings from third party payroll vendors to ensure accuracy
- Coordinates ancillary services, such as unemployment reporting, tax filing, and compliance reporting and wage garnishment, with third party payroll vendor.
- Acts as the primary liaison between external auditors and Finance Department
- High School diploma or equivalent (GED) OR equivalent 4 years of progressive responsibility in processing payroll for a multi-location company
- 3+ years of payroll/accounting experience, including processing payroll using PeopleSoft (version 9.0 strongly preferred but knowledge of PeopleSoft is required)
- Kronos experience preferred
- Knowledge of state-related payroll laws in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, and West Coast strongly preferred
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay makes employment decisions without regard to a person’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including characteristics or testing), citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by the law.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
For California residents, if you elect to apply to AvalonBay you accept the AvalonBay California Personnel Privacy NoticeJob ID 30088