Senior Finance Manager
Position Type: Full Time
State: Virginia City: Arlington
Zip Code: 22203
AvalonBay Communities, Inc., an equity REIT, has a long-term track record of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing distinctive apartment homes in some of the best U.S. markets, and delivering outsized, risk-adjusted returns to shareholders. With equal parts experience and vision, we’ve established a leadership position rooted in our purpose of creating a better way to live and that is always focused on building value for the long term.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
As part of the Capital Markets team, working with and reporting to the Senior Director - Finance, the
Senior Manager – Underwriting will support the underwriting of equity investments sourced by the
Company’s development business units. The Company’s $8B pipeline of new projects either underway or
in the planning stage represents the largest of any multifamily REIT and is a key driver of value. In this
role, you will collaborate with developers across the country to evaluate the returns and profitability of
prospective development projects.
• Analyze and review pro forma underwriting of investment returns for new ground-up
development projects, including joint ventures, developments sponsored by third parties, and
other nonstandard deal structures.
• Provide analytical leadership to each of the Company’s eleven regional Development teams.
• Own preparation of management and Board presentations on new investments, ensuring
compliance with corporate and accounting standards.
• Provide strategic underwriting guidance to executive management and Company’s investment
• Assist as needed with corporate capital planning, budgeting, and forecasting of development
activity on an annual and quarterly basis.
• Bachelor’s degree in finance or other quantitative field.
• Minimum of 5-7 years of professional analytical experience creating and working with financial
models, preferably related to commercial real estate underwriting.
• Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Excel.
• Professional experience with financial and cost accounting concepts relevant to real estate, such
as lease accounting and cost allocation.
• Must be organized, detail-oriented and able to work with high level of accuracy and visibility.
• Must be able to work under tight deadlines, direct multiple projects concurrently, and interact
with senior associates throughout the Company.
• Excellent communication skills, with the ability to answer questions and convey critical
information succinctly to senior management.
• Potential to develop and coach other talented professionals
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits — health, dental and vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more. Click onBenefitsfor information.
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay makes employment decisions without regard to a person’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including characteristics or testing), citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by the law.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
For California residents, if you elect to apply to AvalonBay you accept the AvalonBay California Personnel Privacy NoticeJob ID 30035