Head of Executive Compensation
Position Type: Full Time
State: Virginia City: Arlington
Zip Code: 22203
AvalonBay Communities, Inc., an equity REIT, has a long-term track record of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing distinctive apartment homes in some of the best U.S. markets, and delivering outsized, risk-adjusted returns to shareholders. With equal parts experience and vision, we’ve established a leadership position rooted in our purpose of creating a better way to live and that is always focused on building value for the long term.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
Reporting to the VP of Compensation & Benefits, the Executive Compensation Leader manages the design, implementation, administration, maintenance, and reporting of executive and equity compensation programs and initiatives. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Manages the annual year-end performance management for executives including merit, bonus, and long-term incentives recommendations
- Develops communication materials and supporting analysis for presentations to the Compensation Committee and senior executives
- Manages the development, implementation, and administration of executive and equity compensation programs, including annual and long-term incentive (LTI) programs. Develops and maintains Peoplesoft HR database or a new HRIS system that the Company has selected for officer positions
- Prepares compensation discussion & analysis (CD&A) and the various compensation tables (including the pay versus performance table) in the annual proxy statement
- Prepares compensation analyses provides guidance related to off-cycle officer compensation adjustments, promotions, new hires and severance agreements.
- Participates in executive compensation salary surveys
- Oversees administration of Board of Director compensation including quarterly and annual retainers, dividend payments and tracking company holdings
- Assists with the review of Forms 3, 4, and 5 as well as partners with Financial Reporting to reconcile and confirm stock-based compensation disclosures in Forms 10-K and 10-Q
- Assists with the design, communication and administration of the ESPP
- Provides non-officer compensation support for an executive officer, which may include a few departments
We are looking for candidates who are analytical, detail orientated and have a sense of urgency. The ideal candidate will have an open and curious mind, and is looking for ways to add value to current processes.
A Bachelor’s Degree in related field plus 5 – 7 years of Executive Compensation experience. CCP, CECP, CEBS, and CEP certifications preferred.
- Possesses strong knowledge of executive and equity compensation plan design and administration
- Demonstrates analytical skills, high level of attention to detail, and quality assurance of work products
- Effectively manages multiple priorities
- Commits to excellence in service and client relationship management
- Works independently as well as collaborates with HR colleagues, senior management, and business unit leaders
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay makes employment decisions without regard to a person’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including characteristics or testing), citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by the law.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
For California residents, if you elect to apply to AvalonBay you accept the AvalonBay California Personnel Privacy NoticeJob ID 29216