Strategic Initiatives Manager
Position Type: Full Time
State: Virginia City: Arlington
Zip Code: 22203
AvalonBay Communities, Inc., an equity REIT, has a long-term track record of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing distinctive apartment homes in some of the best U.S. markets, and delivering outsized, risk-adjusted returns to shareholders. With equal parts experience and vision, we’ve established a leadership position rooted in our purpose of creating a better way to live and that is always focused on building value for the long term.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
This position can be based at any of our regional office locations across the US.
The Strategic Initiatives Mgr will be responsible for planning, implementing, and managing multiple capital projects for AvalonBay. Oversee projects through installation completion, providing operation change management product subject matter expertise to RS (Residential Services) and ongoing support. The Manager establishes expectations and ensures project schedule, budget, and quality objectives are attained.
This role requires collaboration, excellent organization and planning skills, and the desire to join a fast-paced, results-driven team.
- Oversees rolling roadmap of projects, each averaging 3-5 month in project life, managing up to 10 projects simultaneously. Projects involve planning, installation and close out of access management technology.
- Facilitates project meetings, serving as main point of contact for customer teams and our installation partners throughout the project with special attention to change management and issue mitigation. Builds and maintains strong relationships with vendors, and AVB stakeholders (i.e., RS, ROMs, CapEx). Ensures vendor compliance with project communication, execution and reporting best practices.
- Uses tools to drive project progress on time and on budget. Leverages standard operating procedures, checklists and best practices to enforce project quality and maintain project documentation (i.e., status reports, spreadsheets, power point).
- Partners with Sr. Director, Sr. Manager of Training and other team members to share lessons learned, make recommendations, and improve best practices to achieve desired results.
- Supports other special projects, which include assisting with the testing and deployment of new features and/or interconnected initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred, with emphasis in Business, Management, Technology, or something similar.
- 5 or more years of experience managing residential, commercial or hospitality projects/activities with experience in RS operations, project management and smart access management preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge related to access management (i.e., Latch, SmartRent) and/or capital projects is a plus.
- Demonstrates strong organizational skills with ability to plan, prioritize, organize, collaborate, and manage workload.
- Possesses strong interpersonal skills with demonstrated ability to work with a diverse range of personalities, ability to keep calm under pressure, ability to communicate effectively and ability to multitask.
- Proven ability to contribute new ideas, and create scalable processes.
- Empathetic and passionate about helping our stakeholders.
- Demonstrates analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to quickly adapt to changing needs of the program.
- Microsoft Office suite.
- Reads and writes English as demonstrated by clear and concise written and verbal communications.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits — health, dental and vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more. Click on Benefits for information.
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay makes employment decisions without regard to a person’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including characteristics or testing), citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by the law.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
For California residents, if you elect to apply to AvalonBay you accept the AvalonBay California Personnel Privacy NoticeJob ID 29794