Staff Accountant I - Residential Services
Virginia Beach, VA
Position Type: Full Time
State: Virginia City: Virginia Beach
Zip Code: 23452
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019.
At AvalonBay, every day you can make a difference in someone's life. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. From helping someone choose one of our communities as their home to providing great service throughout a resident's stay to supporting your fellow associates, your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work. Our purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and a Focus on Continuous Improvement - set us apart.
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation’s leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs), in the business of acquiring, selling, constructing, developing, redeveloping and managing high-quality apartment communities in leading metropolitan areas primarily in New England, the New York/New Jersey Metro area, the Mid-Atlantic, the Pacific Northwest, and the Northern and Southern California regions of the United States. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates. We are looking for a Staff Accountant I - Residential Services to sit in ourVirginia Beach, VA office.
The Staff Accountant’s overall responsibility is to support RS Accounting and complete assignments by the deadline.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Monitor and manage the Residential Services email box and respond to all inquiries in a timely manner
- Submit questions from accountants to the field during the month-end close process
- Process wires as assigned
- Assist with reporting financial information to 3rd parties including replacement reserves
- Analyze monthly account detail, research and explain significant variances for designated categories
- Perform month end revenue analysis
- Perform mid-month utility analysis and process utility exceptions as assigned
- Complete journal entries
- Analysis and reconciliation of specific general ledger accounts
- Assist in keeping documentation of processes current
- Assist in monthly billback process
- Participate in special projects to improve efficiencies.
- Other duties and projects as assigned
The Staff Accountant will be required to have an undergraduate degree in Accounting from an accredited business school or be within 6 months of completing such degree.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Working knowledge of spreadsheet software.
- Good time management and organizational skills desired.
- Is able to work under pressure.
- Is able to work well with accounting team, property management team, on-site associates and other departments including upper management.
- Demonstrates the ability to develop strong analytical skills.
- Demonstrates the initiative and skills of career advancement to provide bench strength within Financial Services.
- Willing to work on a flexible schedule (overtime required).
- Possesses a strong customer service focus.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
• Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
• Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
• Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
• A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
• A culture built on purpose and our core values -a Commitment to Integrity, a Spirit of Caring, and a Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay makes employment decisions without regard to a person’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including characteristics or testing), citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by the law.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
For California residents, if you elect to apply to AvalonBay you accept the AvalonBay California Personnel Privacy NoticeJob ID 30274