Staff Accountant II - Residential Services
Virginia Beach, VA
Position Type: Full Time
State: Virginia City: Virginia Beach
Zip Code: 23452
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
We are looking for a Staff Accountant II - Residential Services to join our team Virginia Beach, VA office.
Position may become fully remote if it qualifies for the Customer Care Center’s business continuity policy.
The Staff Accountant’s overall responsibility is to complete the analytics for specific categories within the financial statements in a timely manner.
- Analyze monthly account detail, research and explain significant variances for designated categories
- Analysis and reconciliation of specific general ledger accounts
- Perform month end revenue analysis
- Perform contract revenue analysis
- Perform mid-month utility analysis and process utility exceptions daily
- Complete routine and non-routine Journal Entries and document support
- Produce special financial reports and schedules requested by third parties
- Add/edit assets as appropriate in the fixed asset module
- Work with construction department to complete capex close
- Monitor and submit wires or ach payments according to contract terms
- Continuously monitor the Residential Services e-mail box and respond to site requests in a timely manner
- Investigate and resolve outstanding items
- Assist in keeping documentation of processes current
- Participate in special projects to improve efficiencies
The Staff Accountant will be required to have an undergraduate degree in Accounting from an accredited business school.
- Minimum 1-2 Years General Ledger experience.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Strong ability to work under pressure and independently.
- Experience with Visual Basic macros, pivot tables, lookup and sumif formulas.
- Real Estate background desired but not required.
- Possess a strong customer service focus.
- Strong working knowledge of Excel, Access and Word.
- Superior time management and organizational skills as well as demonstrated ability to develop strong analytical skills.
- Possesses a strong sense of teamwork and work ethic.
- Willing to work on a flexible schedule (some overtime required).
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
• Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
• Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
• Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
• A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
• A culture built on purpose and our core values -a Commitment to Integrity, a Spirit of Caring, and a Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay makes employment decisions without regard to a person’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including characteristics or testing), citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by the law.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
For California residents, if you elect to apply to AvalonBay you accept the AvalonBay California Personnel Privacy NoticeJob ID 30259