Position Type: Full Time
State: Virginia City: Arlington
Zip Code: 22203
AvalonBay Communities, Inc., an equity REIT, has a long-term track record of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing distinctive apartment homes in some of the best U.S. markets, and delivering outsized, risk-adjusted returns to shareholders. With equal parts experience and vision, we’ve established a leadership position rooted in our purpose of creating a better way to live and that is always focused on building value for the long term.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
As a Development Manager at AvalonBay, you will play a crucial role in managing all phases of the development of multifamily rental communities. From market analysis, financial analysis, and budgeting to design conceptualization, entitlement, and oversight of asset team during construction and lease-up, you will ensure the successful delivery of projects while maintaining our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and a Focus on Continuous Improvement.
Essential Job Functions:
- Conduct feasibility studies, including entitlement probability, financial analysis and feasibility, market feasibility studies, product identification, environmental studies, and engineering and land use studies.
- Manage and oversee the entitlement process, including representation at hearings, working closely with land use attorneys, land planners, architects, engineers, and other consultants, and local officials.
- Hire and manage design teams as appropriate.
- Prepare monthly community reports.
- Prepare and oversee project pro formas and budgets, which include soft costs and contract administration.
- Work as an asset team member and leader with other company disciplines such as Residential Services and Construction.
- Identify new opportunities for development.
- Prepare investment packages for the Board of Directors.
- Perform all other tasks as assigned by the manager.
- Bachelor’s degree required, with a concentration in a technical field such as engineering, construction, or architecture preferred.
- Master’s degree in Business Administration or Real Estate is a plus.
- Work experience in a technical field such as engineering, construction, or architecture preferred.
- Background in real estate is helpful but not essential.
- Displays ease and comfort with numbers.
- Reads and writes English as demonstrated by clear and concise written and verbal communications.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values -A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay makes employment decisions without regard to a person’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including characteristics or testing), citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by the law.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
For California residents, if you elect to apply to AvalonBay you accept the AvalonBay California Personnel Privacy NoticeJob ID 30033