Internal Recovery Specialist
Virginia Beach, VA
Position Type: Full Time
State: Virginia City: Virginia Beach
Zip Code: 23452
AvalonBay Communities, Inc., an equity REIT, has a long-term track record of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing distinctive apartment homes in some of the best U.S. markets, and delivering outsized, risk-adjusted returns to shareholders. With equal parts experience and vision, we’ve established a leadership position rooted in our purpose of creating a better way to live and that is always focused on building value for the long term.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
Position may become fully remote if it qualifies for the Customer Care Center’s business continuity policy.
The Internal Recovery Specialist is responsible for contacting current and prior residents to collect overdue balances. We are looking to fill 3-4 positions.
1. Quickly examine recent collection efforts prior to initiating resident contact.
2. Upon contact with the resident, state the past due amount and set up the payment using one of our payment methods. On prior resident accounts, attempt to collect the balance due on initial contact, if not possible, assist with a pay plan that is beneficial to both the company and the prior resident.
3. Assist customers to meet financial obligations without falling further behind by resolving the reasons for delinquency and documenting the account.
4. Apply standard due diligence practices to collect money owed on accounts, using the approved email templates in our collections library.
5. Ensure proper documentation of all conversations, payments processed and correspondence using preapproved emails. Assist with any disputes and attempt to resolve in order to collect the due amount.
6.Successfully meet all established collection goals, performance standards and metrics.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Additionally, the requirements listed below are representative of knowledge, skills and/or abilities which are required.
Education: High school Diploma or equivalent.
-One year experience in a contact call center, shared services center, fast paced office operations environment or sales role preferred. Excellent problem solving and negotiation skills as demonstrated by prior Call Center, Customer Service or Collections experience.
-Working knowledge of federal and state debt collection laws, regulations and practices demonstrated by prior work experience in debt collection, including the Federal Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA) and Federal Credit Reporting Act (FCRA) is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
• Knowledge of procedural and legal aspects of collecting as demonstrated by prior work experience in debt collection
• Time management and organizational skills as demonstrated by prior work experience in debt collection
• Demonstrate exceptional teamwork skills as well as work independently.
• Must have the ability to learn and understand the navigation of multiple computer systems simultaneously
• Ability to perform mathematic skills such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division to perform basic calculations and analysis such as estimating, determining averages and percentages
• Ability to communicate with customer via phone or email to address disputes as demonstrated by prior work experience in a contact call center or shared services center
• Strong verbal and written communication skills, with the ability to tactfully communicate and handle sensitive information with residents while educating current or prior residents of the benefit of meeting their obligations and the possible consequences of not meeting their obligations
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values -a Commitment to Integrity, a Spirit of Caring, and a Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay makes employment decisions without regard to a person’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including characteristics or testing), citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by the law.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
For California residents, if you elect to apply to AvalonBay you accept the AvalonBay California Personnel Privacy NoticeJob ID 29687