Position Type: Full Time
State: Virginia City: Arlington
Zip Code: 22203
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
Perform monthly analysis and close activities, including but not limited to:
- Prepare and post journal entries for Fund corporate business units monthly and quarterly close processes
- Perform a detailed review and analysis of Fund general ledgers and associated subledger schedules
- Prepare Fund monthly and quarterly partner distribution calculations
- Reconcile Fund general ledger accounts including related party activity
Support the external reporting processes, including but not limited to:
- Prepare Quarterly Investor Reporting Packages, including financial statements, community level performance and operating metric reports, and other associated schedules
- Assist with preparation of year-end financial statements
- Support annual audit process for fund and corporate audits
Additional Job Functions:
- Prepare and maintain process documentation
- Assist with the annual appraisal process
- Support other ad hoc requests and projects from investors and management
Experience & Education
- BS in Accounting from an accredited university;
- 2 years practical experience preferred;
- Public accounting experience preferred;
- CPA preferred
- Solid accounting background with an understanding of the monthly close and reporting process.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills including the ability to effectively communicate details of financial information prepared to investors.
- Excellent computer skills with the ability to prepare ad-hoc financial reports. Experience with pivot tables and Excel functions/formulas a plus.
- The ability to build relationships and work collaboratively at all levels of the organization.
- Detail oriented self-starter willing to take ownership of assignments and develop and implement process enhancements & business solutions.
- Ability to research and analyze transactions, ensure appropriate accounting treatment, and propose solutions for any adjustments necessary.
- Strong initiative and ability to work independently and able to proactively reach out for guidance as needed
- Organizational, prioritization and time management skills are essential.
- Excellent customer service and leadership skills
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay makes employment decisions without regard to a person’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including characteristics or testing), citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by the law.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
For California residents, if you elect to apply to AvalonBay you accept the AvalonBay California Personnel Privacy NoticeJob ID 29383