Director - Operations
Position Type: Full Time
State: Virginia City: Arlington
Zip Code: 22203
AvalonBay Communities, Inc., an equity REIT, has a long-term track record of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing distinctive apartment homes in some of the best U.S. markets, and delivering outsized, risk-adjusted returns to shareholders. With equal parts experience and vision, we’ve established a leadership position rooted in our purpose of creating a better way to live and that is always focused on building value for the long term.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
This role will serve as a member of and support the operations leadership in selecting, shaping and executing the Company’s operations strategy. This role will support the operations strategy process, provide analytical foundations to drive innovation and lead cross-functional initiative teams. This Director will lead teams which design and implement solutions to improve the customer and associate experiences, improve efficiency and increase profitability.
Initially, this role will work with Residential Services and Operations leadership to co-develop the Company’s new operating model, including leading efforts improve processes, add new functionality to products, and validate and refine insights through on testing.
This person should be a champion for the best customer experience and care deeply about creating an engaging associate experience. This role requires creative problem-solving skills, collaboration, excellent organization and planning skills, the ability to thrive in ambiguity, and the desire to join a fast-paced, results-driven team.
- Analyze and synthesize customer, financial and operational data to identify opportunity areas to inform strategic decision-making
- Lead teams in the development of future state customer and associate experiences and business processes, including process re-design and organizational structure/design solutions
- Collaborate with internal stakeholders, including front line operations, to develop successful execution/implementation plans
- Establish and track success metrics
- Identify and assess technology solutions and requirements to successfully drive efficiency, experience and process improvements
- Responsible for the hiring, development, motivation, and performance of associates.
Education: Bachelor’s degree required, MBA preferred
- Minimum 5-7 years’ experience performing business analysis, project management, and process improvement required.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience with operations process improvement/re-design (Lean, Six Sigma), ideally in service operations industries.
- People management experience preferred
- Minimum 5 years managing projects required
- Minimum of 4 years of people management required
- Minimum 3 years’ experience assessing technology and process requirements required
- Experience in residential property management preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong leadership skills: influence, direct, motivate direct and non-direct reports, and develop a high-performing organization.
- Demonstrated success in large scale organizational change efforts.
- Self-starting personality that can work well with limited direction.
- Proven track record leading initiatives that deliver returns.
- Strong analytical, organizational and communication skills.
- Experience with designing future state customer and associate journeys/experiences.
- Experience with change management methodologies
- Facilitation skills
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay makes employment decisions without regard to a person’s race, ethnicity, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, pregnancy (including childbirth, lactation or related medical conditions), age, physical or mental disability, genetic information (including characteristics or testing), citizenship status, military or veteran status, or any other status protected by the law.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
For California residents, if you elect to apply to AvalonBay you accept the AvalonBay California Personnel Privacy NoticeJob ID 28876