Certified Occupancy Specialist
Avanath is proud to be named one of top property management companies to provide affordable housing for the work force. Cultivating the American Dream is the purpose that binds the Avanath team. At Avanath, every day is an opportunity to make a difference in someone's life. Whether it is helping residents call one of our communities home, providing excellence in customer service, or championing our workforce, we are committed to creating an unforgettable experience as a great place to live, work and be.
The Role: This role is responsible for determining and assisting participants with Section 8 Program eligibility. This is accomplished by completing family briefings, performing income calculations, and determining eligibility. Other duties include maintaining waiting list and maintaining resident files. This role also assists with Annual Re-certifications.
JOB TYPE: Certified Occupancy Specialist
EXPERIENCE: 2+ years
- You Are A+!Aptitude, Advantageous, Authentic, Aspiration and Ambition
- An Aptitude for Connecting
- You have a knack for creating a sense of community, as well as the drive to go the extra mile to create a spectacular experience for all residents and staff. Your success and purpose are driven by the relationships that you build.
- An Advantageous Approach
- Involving or creating favorable circumstances that foster success and effectiveness
- An Authentic Attitude
- At all times, on any given day, regardless, you are relatable and approachable to residents and staff alike
- An Aspiration for Follow-up and Follow Through
- At all times, regardless, you do what you say you will do. You over deliver.
- An Ambition to Support Residents and Colleagues
- There is no “I” in team for you. You are an active listener and understand that your participation and support are integral to the success of Avanath, ensuring that each resident and staff feel seen, heard and valued.
- An Aptitude for Connecting
- Resident Relations + Customer Service
- Greets and welcomes incoming visitors and clients.
- Answers and routes incoming calls and emails.
- Maintains the waiting list by contacting applicants on the waiting list; interviewing the family to determine eligibility in accordant to administrative and regulatory requirements of the program; verifying status and placement of families on waiting list to determine eligibility or continued interest in the program.
- Completes family briefing by conducting individual or group meetings to review current family status on income, allowances, and family compositions; reviewing HUD regulations and policies pertaining to the program; explaining grounds for termination of assistance and locates suitable unit and leases it.
- Determines eligibility by computing annual income based on family composition, income, allowances, utility allowances, and contract rent.
- Maintains tenants' files by entering information in the computer; ensuring that files are in order and complete; sending required verification.
- Performs general administrative support and clerical duties including filing, copying, faxing and mailings.
- Front desk duties such as walk-in’s, phone calls and general inquiries.
- Adherence to Property Management Rules, Regulations and Guidelines
- Respond to any potential housing violations and liability concerns regarding the property in a prompt, transparent and effective manner under the direction of the Compliance department and the Community Manager, manages compliance file maintenance, where applicable
- Physical Demands & Working Conditions
- Frequent sitting and walking
- Repetitive use of computer, keyboard, mouse and phone
- Reading, comprehending, writing, performing calculations, communicating orally, reasoning and analyzing
- May work in an elevated site
- May walk on uneven ground
- Occasional squatting, bending neck/waist, twisting neck/waist, pushing and pulling
- 2 years’ experience of leasing experience
- Section 8/Project Based HUD experience
- COS or similar certifications is required.
- 2 years’ experience in affordable housing
- 2 years’ experience in property management
- Extensive computer knowledge, Windows (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access) internet and e-mail.
- Working knowledge of Yardi Voyager Property Management software.
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Excellent writing skills
- Attention to detail and ability to multitask.
- Proof of Covid-19 Vaccination is required to be employed by Avanath.
How Avanath Supports You We know that our teams are the heart of our success and growth, and we are committed to showing our appreciation. We offer:
- Culture Built on Purpose and Core Values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and A Focus on Continuous Improvement.
- Comprehensive Benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k), personal time off, paid holidays and more!
- Growth that is based on achievement and an emphasis on promoting from within our ranks versus just external candidates
- Development – a commitment to creating opportunities to learn and expand your knowledge in the industry from online training platforms to training classes to one-on-one coaching
Diversity & Inclusion Avanath Capital is committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity, equity and inclusion. Our human capital is the most valuable asset we have, and Diversity, equity, and inclusion (“DEI”) are at the very core of Avanath’s operating and investment philosophy. We believe that bringing together people with diverse thoughts, backgrounds, talents, and experiences at all levels of our organization, including the executive team, enables us to proactively and creatively achieve our mission to enable opportunities for hard-working American families. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, inventiveness, innovation, self-expression, unique capabilities and talent that our employees invest in their work represents a significant part our culture, our reputation and our achievements. We embrace and encourage our employees’ differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other characteristics that make our employees unique. Our organization’s diversity initiatives include—but are not limited to—our practices and policies on recruitment and selection; compensation and benefits; professional development and training; promotions; transfers; and the ongoing development of a work environment built on the premise of gender and diversity equity that encourages and enforces:
- Respectful communication and cooperation be