Leasing and Occupancy Specialist
Santa Monica, CA
The Leasing and Occupancy Specialist position is a full-time position. The Leasing and Occupancy (L&O) Specialist must be able to income qualify applicants for affordable rental housing where rents and incomes are restricted by government programs, including but not limited to the Low Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program and the State of California's Multifamily Housing Program (MHP) by gathering appropriate data/documentation from the applicant, verifying the accuracy of such data/documentation and completing the file.
The L&O Specialist will also be responsible for processing and completing annual tenant income recertification paperwork. Candidate must be able to promptly, thoroughly and accurately complete paperwork for applicants seeking affordable housing in Santa Monica.
Essential Position Responsibilities
- Pre-qualify applicants according to the regulations dictated by various funding programs for affordable housing such as LIHTC and MHP
- Prepare, review and/or sign new move-in files
- Prepare, review and/or sign income recertification's
- Prepare open house materials and schedule dates
- Assist and help prepare for audits by funding agencies
- Organize applicant and tenant files to ensure timely completion of all steps in the leasing and/or recertification process
- Contribute to team efforts by assisting where needed
- Provide excellent customer service
- Prepare compliance summaries for each unit
- For households with Section 8 vouchers, complete paperwork and follow processes
- File, scan, copy and mail third party verifications.
- Other duties as assigned from time to time
- Maintain regular and consistent attendance and punctuality
- Certification to lease properties financed with low income housing tax credits preferred
- Must have at least 4 years of LIHTC experience and be able to monitor CCSM's compliance with affordable housing programs
- Must be detail oriented and organized and able to produce timely and accurate documents
- Able to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Excellent math skills
- Knowledge of fair housing rules and regulations, relevant California statues and rent control requirements as they apply to the leasing of rental housing for low income applicants
- Strong information technology skills in Microsoft Word and Excel; knowledge of Access or YARDI a plus, but not required
Education and Experience
Preferably, a college degree with at least 4 years of experience with affordable housing leasing and recertification processes and compliance with affordable housing programs
This position will require daily use of office equipment and moving around an office environment
Office Location/Work Schedule/Work Environment
Community Corporation is ideally located in Santa Monica just steps away from the Third Street Promenade and a short walk to the Santa Monica Pier and beach. We offer a 9/80 work week whereby staff work 9 hour days, Monday through Thursday, and rotate working 8 hours on one Friday and off every other Friday. It is a business-causal yet professional and productive work environment.
Regular travel by car will be required primarily in Santa Monica to visit properties in the Community Corp. portfolio. Leasing and Occupancy Specialist must have use of vehicle to travel within the Community Corp. service area. Leasing and Occupancy Specialist must possess and maintain a valid California driver's license and legally required insurance and agree to allow Community Corp. to obtain access to the DMV pull report.
Benefits & Compensation
Compensation is based on experience. Benefits include medical, dental and life insurance, Voluntary Life Insurance, 403(b) and 40(b) match, EAP, and FSA. As well as 11 paid holidays, sick and 4 weeks' vacation. All new hires must successfully pass a background check.