Senior Leasing and Occupancy Specialist
Santa Monica, CA
The Senior Leasing & Occupancy Specialist is responsible for assuring eligible occupancy and quality control of the Agency's eligibility application processing and annual recertification for approximately 2,000 apartments in over 80 buildings owned and managed by Community Corporation of Santa Monica (Community Corp.). Compliance with the Low-Income Housing Tax Credit (LIHTC) program and other state and local funding programs for affordable housing is a key responsibility of the position. The Senior Leasing & Occupancy Specialist will report directly to the Compliance Manager. The Senior Leasing & Occupancy Specialist will assist in the update, revision, and/or development of forms, reports, and manuals relating to property management compliance issues. Ensures implementation, and monitors progress as appropriate. This is a full-time position with excellent benefits.
Essential Position Responsibilities
- Ensure compliance with income limits and maximum allowable rents that are imposed by funding sources and Regulatory Agreements
- Review and approve annual income re-certifications as mandated by various programs such as HOME, LIHTC, HCD, etc.
- Review and approve all new move in files.
- Review and approve Rent Control bills.
- Provide great customer service, and be a role model for the leasing and occupancy team.
- Establish audit calendar to ensure completion of re-certifications by annual deadline.
- Establish and implement weekly file audit schedule to include detailed follow up report.
- Provide weekly update on completed and outstanding re-certifications.
- Assist Compliance Manager with quarterly reports for properties financed with tax-exempt bonds.
- Assist with creation and updates of compliance policies and procedures
- Maintain Yardi database and make sure staff is trained on current Yardi procedures and updates.
- Assist with Yardi updates such as Income table and Utility Allowances.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Assist Leasing and Occupancy Specialist in Prepare Open Houses.
- Assist Leasing and Occupancy Specialist in leasing units and pre-qualify applicants according to the regulations dictated by various programs such as HOME, TCAC, CHRP, RHCP, etc.
- Knowledge of Fair Housing laws and relevant California statues or local rent control laws as they apply to occupancy.
- Help prepare for program audits.
- Organize applicants' files to ensure timely completion of all necessary material.
- Participate in the Marketing List effort.
- Prepare Unit Summary Compliances.
- Assist Compliance Manager in Prepare Income and Rent Limits chart.
- Review leases, credit and background reports.
- Consolidate Section 8 tenants.
- File, scan, copy, mail.
- Certified in LIHTC Compliance
- Knowledge of Fair Housing laws, relevant California statutes and local rent control laws as they apply to the leasing and occupancy of affordable housing
- Detail oriented and highly organized
- Able to use technology and software to improve processes and enhance efficiencies
- Able to work on multiple projects simultaneously and prioritize to meet deadlines.
- Able to stay calm and provide excellent customer service at all times, both externally and internally.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Commitment to continuous learning to maintain up-to-date knowledge of rules and regulations
Education and Experience: Preferably, a college degree with 4 years of experience with affordable housing leasing and recertification processes. Must be proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and knowledge of YARDI a plus.
Senior Leasing & Occupancy Specialist will directly supervise the work product of the leasing and occupancy staff, specifically lease-up and recertification files, and assist with development and training of new compliance procedures.
This role is not involved in the direct supervision of staff.
This position requires the ability to sit and use office equipment, telephones and computers for the majority of the workday. Must be able to lift up to 20 pounds.
The essential responsibilities of this position are performed in a busy office environment. This position requires that you must be able to keep focused and maintain a pleasant and professional attitude in an environment with many interruptions and distractions.
Occasional car travel to visit Community Corp. properties in Santa Monica and outside Santa Monica. Additional travel may be required to visit colleagues at other agencies or to participate in trainings and/or conferences.
Benefits include medical, dental, vision and life insurance, 403(b) 403(b) 4% match, voluntary life. Every other Friday off. As well as paid holidays, sick and 4 weeks' vacation. All new hires must successfully pass a background check.