Maintenance Supervisor - 430 Turk/939-95
San Francisco, CA
Mission: Tenderloin Neighborhood Development Corporation (TNDC) provides affordable housing and services for low-income people in the Tenderloin and throughout San Francisco, to promote equitable access to opportunity and resources.
Established in 1981, TNDC has grown to employ more than 450 staff, to develop, own, manage and provide supportive services in 43 properties that offer deeply affordable housing for nearly 6,000 tenants, and to expand its work in community organizing and afterschool programming. TNDC is viewed as a trusted and well-organized community ally locally and a practice leader nationally. In San Francisco, TNDC envisions diverse communities where people with low incomes can fulfill their potential and meet their basic needs. In the Tenderloin, TNDC stands as a catalyst for advancing community interests and a force for expanding the choices that enhance livability, such as housing, employment, education, food, cultural activities, and open spaces.
TNDC values are: Integrity, Excellence, Inclusion, Collaboration and Equity
The Maintenance Supervisor is responsible for hands-on supervision of daily maintenance requirements and requests, preventive maintenance and capital improvements for two TNDC buildings: Curran House and Ambassador Hotel.
· Supervise staff, including assigning and reviewing work, planning, setting and maintaining standards, allocating personnel and addressing employee problems.
· With the approval of the General Manager, discipline, terminate and promote staff, and recommend salary increases, write performance appraisals, and interpret personnel policies and practices for staff.
· Provide orientation and training for current and newly hired staff.
Safety and Property Maintenance:
· Respond to, and is responsible for the oversight of daily work orders, maintenance requests, capital improvement projects, and unit turnovers:
· Plumbing: Replace faucets and sinks; Repair galvanized, PVC, ABS and copper plumbing lines; Troubleshoot location of leaks; Apply advanced understanding of operational principals and preventive maintenance of steam and water boiler systems; Apply comprehensive understanding of operational principals and preventive maintenance of building fire systems, including smoke detectors, flow valves, standpipes, fire alarm panels, etc.
· Carpentry: Install and repair windows and doors; Repair and replaces drywall; Repair and replace kitchen cabinets and countertops
· Electrical: Repair and replace switches, outlets, heaters, exhaust fans, ceiling fans, and garbage disposals; Troubleshoot electrical failure; Read electrical and gas meter; Repair and replace defective circuit breaker
· Conducts work tasks safely in compliance with safety rules
· Inspect units annually with General Manager
· Conduct monthly pest control service with pest control vendor
· Perform and keep record of all building and fire/life safety and operational equipment preventive maintenance/scheduled building preventative maintenance
· Keep General Manager informed of maintenance problems
· Assist Facilities Manager with capital level maintenance project
· Develop and implement system replacement schedules
· Assist the Facilities Department and Human Resources with monthly safety trainings for all TNDC employees as needed
· Respond to building emergencies on after-hours on-call schedule
· Other duties as assigned
Knowledge and Skills:
- Ability, willingness and sensitivity to work with a diverse, low-income population
- Maturity, honesty, dependability, initiative and follow-through
- Ability to read and communicate in English sufficiently to follow directions and communicate with supervisor, coworkers and resident
- Ability and willingness to work tactfully under pressure; cope with stress
- Ability to read basic blue print drawings and electrical schematics
- Problem-solving ability
- Ability to order supplies and maintain recorded inventory
- Ability to maintain current and accurate records and files
- Ability to perform medium to heavy work involving sitting, standing, walking, lifting up to 75 pounds and climbing ladders and stairs
- Ability to use a variety of hand and power tools necessary to perform mechanical, carpentry, electrical, plumbing and other building repairs and maintenance work
- Ability to operate a variety of equipment including mechanic tools, carpenter tools, electrical tools, plumbing tools, shovels, rakes, etc.
- Ability to move objects, occasionally requiring exertion of considerable force
- Ability to differentiate shades of color in performing electrical maintenance, painting and other work
- Ability to coordinate eyes, hands and fingers in performing maintenance tasks
- Ability to drive motor vehicles, including trucks
- Visual acuity necessary to inspect buildings and review work orders
- Hearing acuity sufficient to use telephone and communicate with residents and staff
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide
Judgment and Reasoning Ability:
- Ability to judge situations where supervisor's involvement is needed
- Ability to apply common sense understanding to semi-repetitive tasks
Language and Communication Ability:
- Ability to comprehend and correctly use maintenance logs, work orders, time sheets, purchase orders, etc.
- Ability to comprehend resident handbook and employee manuals
- Ability to communicate effectively with coworkers and staff at all levels, residents, both verbally and in writing
- Ability to adapt to changes in policy, methods, operations, etc. as they apply to property management operations and activities
- Ability to work in an office environment and in and outside a variety of residential buildings
- Ability to work under hot and cold conditions
- Ability to work under conditions of moderate noise
- Two consecutive years of experience in residential housing maintenance/property management
- Two years of hands-on experience in the building trades: plumbing, electrical, carpentry and/or painting
- Two years of experience supervising maintenance crews and contract vendors
- Knowledge of Cal OSHA safety and code requirements
- Knowledge of lead paint and