Sr Accountant, Financial Reporting
San Mateo, CA
Essex offers a comprehensive benefits package that reflects how much we value our associates and their families:For regular full-time associates regularly scheduled to work at least thirty (30) hours per week:• Medical, Dental, Pre-tax flex plan, Basic life insurance, Supplemental life, Short- and long-term disability, Accidental death insurance plans.For part-time and full-time associates:• Employer-matching 401(k) plan that offers financial planning and independent brokerage services.• Wellness Program, 24-hour Employee Assistance, Service awards and Paid time-off.
The primary goal of the SEC Financial Reporting team is to ensure all public filings are filed timely and free of material errors. This position, in coordination with the other team members, will be responsible for the preparation of quarterly financial statements and supporting schedules which requires strong analytical skills, attention to detail and the willingness to work with internal and external teams. The SEC team is also responsible for the research and documentation of various technical accounting issues which continuously contributes to the collective skills and knowledge of the team. This is an excellent opportunity for someone with a strong accounting foundation interested in expanding their knowledge of the SEC reporting process and real estate industry.
- Key team member in the preparation of the Company's public reports including the quarterly supplemental analyst package and SEC filings (Forms 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K, Form 4 etc.).
- Preparation of financial statements, footnotes and related supporting schedules in accordance with U.S. GAAP and SEC requirements.
- Coordinate with management, external auditors and other internal resources to enable timely review of SEC Filings including Forms 10-K, 10-Q, 8-K, etc.
- Work closely with CFO, CAO, senior management, bankers, legal counsel, auditors and others within the organization to prepare registration filings for equity and debt issuances as needed.
- Assist in the quarterly dividend pay-out process and monitor the Company’s outstanding share count. - Work closely with the Investor Relations Team to prepare for the annual proxy filing.
- Prepare various technical accounting/policy memos based on current or new GAAP guidance, often involving complex accounting topics.
- Provide ad hoc reporting to CAO, CFO, and Executive Management, as needed.
- Assist tax reporting team on an as needed basis in preparation of tax related reporting requirements.
- Assist the Treasury Team for outgoing wire approvals, as needed.
- Participate in the coordination of various department projects as applicable to continue to build efficiencies.
- CPA required.
- Real estate accounting a plus and SEC experience strongly preferred.
- B.A. degree in Accounting or Finance. - Prior Big 4 audit experience preferred (2-4 years).
- Industry experience preferred (2+ years).
- Dedicated team player who is flexible and adaptable to change in a fast-paced environment. - Perceptive, self-starter with excellent problem solving abilities.
- Able to juggle several projects at once and know how to prioritize deadlines.
- Ability to work under pressure and with tight deadlines.
- Organized and have good attention to detail.
- Strong computer skills (Excel and other MS Office applications).
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Yardi experience a plus.