Human Resources Generalist
San Mateo, CA
At Essex, we provide outstanding communities in which to live, work and invest. Our associates are offered competitive salaries, experience career growth, and receive comprehensive benefit packages such as medical, dental, vision, 401k employer match, excellence rewards, wellness programs and more. Essex is committed to engaging, enabling, and empowering associates to thrive. We invite you to experience this exciting employee journey with us!
Goal: We’re taking our business to the next level and this is an exciting time to join Essex as we go on a digital transformation journey to remain competitive and provide superior service to our clients.
Job Objectives: Lead and administer key associate relations HR practices that supports a high performing, developmental culture that recruits and retains superior talent. The HR Generalist serves as the subject matter expert and first point of contact to our clients at the corporate offices and community sites for associate relations matters and all leave of absences in accordance with company policy and local, state and federal guidelines.
Reports to: Human Resources Manager
Job Status: Exempt, full-time
Department: Human Resources
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Counsels, advises and provides guidance to mangers and hourly associates related to associate relations matters.
- Address associate relations issues, such as harassment allegations, work complaints or associate concerns. Conduct investigation as needed.
- Facilitates communication among employees and management by providing guidance and consultation regarding problem solving, dispute resolution, regulatory compliance and litigation avoidance and strives to resolve internal conflict informally through appropriate conflict management techniques.
- Advise management on effective performance feedback, disciplinary and termination process.
- Manage performance, counseling, and investigating using tracking and reporting tool.
- Participates in developing department objectives, goals and action plans.
- Confidentially interacts with internal clients at all levels of the organization.
- Provides litigation and subpoena support.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
Leave of Absence Administration:
- Responsible for explaining leave policies and procedures and assisting employees and managers through the leave of absence process
- Determines leave eligibility and leave type based on state and federal law as well as company policy and reviews associated medical certifications
- Provides timely and required communication and materials to employees at the leave commencement and throughout the duration of the leave (leave designation notices, medical certifications, letters, forms and required policies, etc.)
- Tracks LOAs and conducts all necessary follow up with management and employees with respect to leave status and updates, pay & benefits, work restrictions, and required forms
- Creates/updates leave of absence records in HRIS system and maintenance of accurate and complete LOA records, files, and reporting
- Collaborates with HR and managers to facilitate employees returning to work on-time, utilizing the ADA interactive process when necessary
- Stays current on laws, case law, regulations and legal precedents relating to leaves and ADA and updates leave policies and procedures as necessary
- Prepares statistical and leave trend reports, makes recommendations and contribute to continuous improvement opportunities.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
- Assist HR Manager in development and implementation of policies, programs and initiatives.
- Assist HR Manager in providing day to day guidance and support.
- Provide support administering employee inquiries regarding company polices, procedures and other related topics.
- Collaborates with HR team in functional roles to address and resolve issues.
- Provide additional support to HR Assistant as needed.
- Performs other related duties and special projects as required and assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS:Education: Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources, or the equivalent in related work experience.
Experience: A minimum 4 years experience in General HR, Employee Relations and LOA Management.
Skills: Candidate must excel in the following areas:
- Be Business Curious and invest time building genuine, collaborative partnerships across the organization.
- Strong knowledge and understanding of Employee Relations, Performance Management, Employment Law.
- Ability to analyze data, identify key issues, prepare comprehensive recommendations based on reports.
- Strong communications skills and ability to present ideas in a clear, concise and organized manner.
- Ability to navigate through change, have an impact and influence others, help drive to win-win outcomes.
- Excellent conflict resolution skill and maintain a constructive working relationship with associates at all levels.
- Ability to manage multiple priorities simultaneously and deliver timely and accurate information in a deadline-driven environment.
- Demonstrated ability to produce results and maintain positive attitude in fast paced, dynamic environment
- Proficiency with HRIS data management and possess systems aptitude.
- Ability to be a team player with strong attention to detail and able to work independently.
- Excellent critical thinking, problem solving and customer service
- Training Facilitation and ability to present information to others
- A valid driver license and current automobile insurance is required.
- Job is intermittently sedentary, but requires mobility (i.e. climb stairs)
- Will use some repetitive motion of hands or wrists using a computer and telephone
- Requires light lifting