San Mateo, CA
At Essex, we provide outstanding communities in which to live, work and invest. Our associates are offered competitive salaries, experience career growth, and receive comprehensive benefit packages such as medical, dental, vision, 401k employer match, excellence rewards, wellness programs and more. Essex is committed to engaging, enabling, and empowering associates to thrive. We invite you to experience this exciting employee journey with us!
We are looking for an experienced and organized individual to join our team. The Payroll Manager will plan, coordinate and manage the responsibilities of the Payroll department. Their team will oversee payroll, payroll accounting and payroll taxes for the company, assist in external and internal audits related to payroll and responsible for making sure that the payroll department is adhering to company and legal standards.
Supervises: Senior Payroll Specialist, Payroll Specialist
Compensation: Exempt, Not eligible for overtime
Reports to: Sr. Director, Total Rewards
Essential Job Functions:
- Manage the overall corporate payroll functions including payroll processing, payroll taxes, reviewing and revising policies and procedures, as well as internal controls, system review and upgrade.
- Ensure payroll and tax payments are in compliance with applicable federal, state and local tax laws
- Serve as key resource for payroll preparation/inquiries during all annual audits
- Promptly execute all post-processing audits, GL reporting and audits to validate payroll accuracy and make any necessary adjustments with the goal of an error-free payroll.
- Continue to look for ways to automate/streamline payroll processes and upgrade payroll software to ensure the accuracy, timeliness and compliance of reporting (while documenting the policies, processes and controls) and identify and implement improvements
- Maintain necessary vendor relationships
- Ensure payroll staff is properly trained and provide leadership to enhance performance, quality and productivity; create training and development opportunities
- Coordinate year-end W-2 processing; ensure accurate and complete preparation/distribution of W-2/W-2c forms
- Maintains professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops; reviewing professional publications; establishing personal networks; participating in professional organizations.
Skills and Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related field preferred but not required. CPP certification preferred
- At least seven 5 years of payroll administration experience and at least 2 years of management experience required.
- Comprehensive knowledge and understanding of standard payroll methodologies, payroll regulations, state wage/tax law and recording keeping/administration required
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of sensitive Human Resources and Payroll information
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to interact professionally at all levels in the organization
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word and Outlook
- Experience with Workday strongly preferred.