Director of Communications
San Rafael, CA
Position is for the Director of Communications to work in the corporate office of EAH located in San Rafael, CA. Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a related field such as: Business Administration, Marketing, Communications, Urban Planning, Law/Paralegal, Public Policy. Master’s degree preferred. 10 years of related work or field work experience in matters related to affordable housing policy, marketing, communications, fundraising or advocacy, with increasing levels of supervisorial experience. Salary commensurate to experience.
EAH Housing has been developing, managing and promoting Affordable Housing since 1968. We are one of the largest and most respected nonprofit housing development and management organizations in the western United States. With a staff of over 450, EAH develops multi-family communities, manages over 100+ properties in California and Hawaii, and plays a leadership role in local, regional and national housing advocacy efforts.
At EAH, we put our core values into action on a daily basis. We recognize that training is a critical investment in the success of our employees and in the continued excellence of EAH. Please visit our website to learn more about our culture and read employee comments to learn more about what it would be like to work at EAH.
For immediate consideration, please apply to requisition DIREC02270 on our website at www.eahhousing.org/careers
Provides key leadership and direction to the Communications team and assists the organization with the implementation of long-range initiatives. This position is responsible for supporting Real Estate Development and Real Estate Management departments’ new business goals and for creating, implementing, and continuously refining a comprehensive communications package that enhances the image of EAH Housing in the community. Creates and grows traditional and digital publicity/promotion efforts and supports the creation of new business opportunities. Assumes the roles and responsibilities of the Vice President of Communications as assigned or necessary. Shares in the mission and core values of EAH Housing as a nonprofit housing organization.
- Guides business development strategies, proposal packages and capacity building as the company grows.
- Directs data and messaging for success in new business.
- Manages programs and projects with cross-functional teams.
- Builds internal solutions around new business strategic priorities.
Corporate Capacity Building
- Develops best practices and establishes company communication protocols. Champions and facilitations implementation of new protocols
- Promotes workplace culture and disseminates corporate communications organization-wide.
- Develops the design, implementation, and publicity of EAH strategic initiatives.
- Implements and oversees an effective organizational contact database that allows for improved and tailored communication with government and elected officials, donors, vendors and advocacy groups.
- Implements and optimizes systems and infrastructure for interdepartmental projects and company initiatives.
- Designs, reviews and assesses communications campaigns.
- Leads design strategies and content strategies for EAH marketing, publications and outreach materials.
- Reviews and aligns policies, procedures and methods to match areas of dynamic change within EAH.
- Implements crisis communications protocol with staff and other involved EAH departments.
- Works in collaboration with interdepartmental staff, vendors, and consultants.
- Acts as company spokesperson in certain circumstances
Community Relations & Advocacy/Education
- Supports departmental efforts around policy initiatives affecting affordable housing.
- Represents EAH at appropriate meetings, community/industry events, and activities.
- Engages in committees, conferences, and research to stay informed of issues and policies pertaining to EAH and the affordable housing industry.
Fundraising and Events
- Coordinates grant writing, special appeals and direct mail.
- Develops strategies and solicitation of major donors.
- Oversees fundraising and promotional events.
- May provide support to other duties in the Communications Department as needed.
- Attends mandatory meetings and trainings.
- Actively participates in EAH’s Injury and Illness Prevention Plan.
- Regular and predictable attendance.
- Other duties as assigned.
Directly supervises the Communications team including Marketing, PR , Relationship Manager, Initiatives and Grant Writer, consultants and other communications team members. Hires, trains, and manages schedules. Provides ongoing performance feedback including coaching, counseling and disciplining as necessary. Conducts regular meetings for purposes of problem solving, encouraging and training.
Bachelor’s degree or equivalent in a related field such as: Business Administration, Marketing, Communications, Information Design, Digital Media/Media Arts, Urban Planning, Law/Paralegal, Public Policy. Master’s degree preferred.10 years of related work or field work experience in matters related to affordable housing policy, marketing/graphic design, communications, fundraising or advocacy, with increasing levels of supervisorial experience.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIREMENTS
EAH Housing conducts criminal background checks on all candidates who have received a conditional job offer. Once you have received such an offer, you will be required to submit and pass our criminal background requirements. Please be advised that certain roles may also require fingerprinting due to legal requirements. If onsite housing is a requirement of the position, any household members over 18 years of age who will be living onsite with the candidate must also undergo a criminal background check and tenant screening. Satisfactory completion of background check and fingerprinting requirements is a requirement of employment with EAH.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, as well as a 403(b) retirement plan with company match. We also offer a generous vacation accrual, holiday schedule and work schedule flexibility.
EAH Housing is an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled Employer. CA BRE #00853495 | HI RB-16985