Finance Manager - Debt & Treasury
Arlington, VA 20598
Job Type: Non Exempt
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019.
We are one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 80,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates. We are currently searching for the right candidate to join our Finance team in Arlington, VA.
As part of the company's Finance team within the Financial Services department, this position will be a key contributing member in the areas of debt capital markets, principally with the secured debt platform, and treasury management. This person will have a key role in the company’s debt platform by supporting the Senior Director in the origination and management of the company’s property-level debt, including negotiating debt instruments, obtaining consents from lenders, becoming an internal resource for all secured debt related matters, making recommendations as to optimal timing for the repayment and refinancing of outstanding debt, and assisting with liability management analysis. In addition, the position will assist with origination and management of unsecured debt transactions and will prepare quarterly covenant analysis on an actual and forecasted basis. In the area of treasury management, this position will assume responsibility for updating the corporate cash forecast model on a daily basis, managing the administration of the borrowings and pay downs on the company’s revolving line of credit, making investment recommendations for cash investments, managing investments with the company’s investment and commercial banks, and preparing both the annual budget and quarterly reforecast for interest income. This position will also manage the issuance and administration of letters of credit and surety bonds, the company’s non-cash collateral instruments. This person will participate in and be a key strategic thought leader and analytical resource in support of executive financial decisions regarding the company’s debt and treasury management platforms, including producing materials for the quarterly cash management meeting. This position will also be responsible for assisting with the preparation of the company’s business plan and reforecast materials presented to the board of directors as well as ad hoc analysis.
- Prepare debt budget and quarterly reforecasts including covenant calculations, support the origination of new debt, respond to lender inquiries, analyze redemptions, and facilitate the payoff of existing secured debt
- Participate in review of capital plan and strategic discussions regarding management of the company's debt platform
- Prepare daily cash forecast model, integrate with annual budget and quarterly reforecasts, prepare and present quarterly cash management position to senior management
- Administration of line borrowings, line pay downs and cash investments as well as non-cash forms of collateral (letters of credit and surety bonds)
- Assist with the preparation of BOD presentations of the Annual Business Plan and Interim Reforecasts
- Facilitate annual budgeting and ongoing forecasting of interest income
- Ad hoc analysis
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, math, or finance required.
- Equivalent 4 years of progressive responsibility in treasury management analysis and debt administration preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Ability to create and deliver group presentations on function-related subject matter and write reports in a clear, concise form.
- Perform mathematical skills including forecasting, quantitative and financial modeling, and rate of return analysis.
- Perform advanced spreadsheet Microsoft Office applications and utilize MS PowerPoint and MS Word.
- Build financial models and work with these models in MS Excel.
- Analyze financial models with numerous variables.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values -A Commitment to Integrity,A Spirit of Caring, andA Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.