Groundskeeper / Maintenance Worker
Richmond, CA 94801
Salary dependent upon experience.
DESCRIPTION: Performs light plumbing, light electrical, light carpentry, painting, sheet rock repair, refurbishing, irrigation, and common area cleaning in housing projects designed to provide low-income families, seniors, special users, or other eligible individuals with furnished or unfurnished housing in single or multi-unit dwellings.
REPORTS TO: Facility Director and Maintenance Supervisor.
Working relationships (internal/external):
Internal: The Grounds Keeper / Maintenance Person is expected to work in coordination with other key professionals in the organization with a customer focus in providing services.
External: Establishes a professional working relationship with Contractors and Vendors who provide services and supplies to the property.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Efficiently and effectively schedules work order requests. Performs light plumbing work, irrigation, replacement of broken glass, screens, tile, carpet, garbage disposals, fixtures, appliances, draperies, locks, etc.
- Efficiently and effectively paints interior and exterior, performs carpentry work such as fitting doors, freeing windows, replacing and building shelves, sanding and refinishing floors, repair of concrete, masonry, roof fencing, etc.
- Assists in custodial work/cleaning of common areas and vacant units, including sweeping, mopping, vacuuming, waxing, buffing, emptying trash, cleaning windows, etc. Assists in grounds work and limited extermination services when necessary.
- Identifies and assesses problems and needs and communicates these to Maintenance Supervisor and Property Manager.
- Maintains congenial relationships with all residents, is professional and polite; communicates easily with residents using strong interpersonal skills. Is able to handle complaints/adversity with tact and diplomacy. Is understanding and sensitive to cultural background, economic status, those with special needs, and adheres to Equal Employment and Equal Housing Opportunity requirements.
- Participates in an on-call emergency schedule for evening, weekend and holiday coverage of the property and/or other properties. Maintains knowledge of water, gas meter cutoffs, all building and fixture cutoffs, sewer cleanouts and maps and diagrams of the property. Maintains security of property.
- Under the general supervision for the Site Manager or Maintenance Supervisor maintains inventory of, places monthly order for, picks up supplies and utilizes materials for maintenance and repair.
- Periodically inspects building exterior and common arrears, performs repairs and janitorial assistance as needed. Assists with scheduled annual unit inspections. Refurbishes apartments prior to occupancy.
- Maintains accurate records regarding preventative monthly maintenance on all equipment based on manufacturer recommendations or as required by housing regulations or codes.
- Completes and maintains the CAMS II maintenance program.
- Perform related duties as required.
Supervisor Responsibilities: None
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to professionally relate to a wide variety of people.
- Adequate writing ability to complete work orders and log entries
- Ability to keep accurate and detailed records.
- Ability to use initiative and think independently
Education and/or Experience:
High School diploma or general education degree (GED) and two years experience in a maintenance environment.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to contribute to routine written reports and correspondence. Ability to communicate effectively with residents and employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtracts, multiply and divides in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio and percent.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardizations exist. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registration:
Valid California Drivers License, Insurance
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Demonstrated experience with preventive and on-going maintenance of a property
- Ability to work with minimum supervision
- Attentive to detail
- Desirable second language skills may vary site by site
- Ability to learn the CAMS II maintenance computer program
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to find, or feel objects, tools, or controls; talk or hear; and taste or smell. The employee is frequently is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk; sit; climb or balance; and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
- The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works in outside weather conditions and is frequently exposed to fumes or airborne particles. The employee occasionally works near moving mechanical parts and in high, precarious places and is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions, toxic or caustic chemicals, risk of electrical shock, radiation; and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually typically moderate and occasionally loud.
At Will Employment: This Job Description should not be considered a contract of employment for any definite period of time or guarantee of any particular rules, policies, procedures, or terms and conditions of employment. Employment at NREDC is at-will. Either the employee or the employer may terminate the employment relationship for any lawful reason, or for no reason, with or without cause, and at any time.