Arlington, VA 20598
Job Type: Exempt
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019.
We are one of the nation’s leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT’s), in the business of constructing, developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing high-quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates. We are looking for a Claims Manager to join our Risk Management team at our Arlington, Virginia Headquarters.
This position is responsible for supporting the Risk Management department in oversight of general liability, property damage, and workers’ compensation claims and litigation across the US.
Claims Management Duties (Represents 80% of the job duties):
- Manage general liability, property damage, and worker’s compensation claims as assigned either in-house or through our third-party administrator (TPA).
- Direct immediate and thorough response to incidents by coordinating with on-site team, injured employees, Safety, Procurement, Engineering, HR, Benefits, Legal, and outside vendors.
- Serve as an in-house subject-matter expert for all claim matters regarding third party contracts, including downstream, contractor agreements in order to effectuate successful risk transfer.
- Control investigation, liability determination, reserving, settlement negotiation, and litigation management and settle claims within designated authority.
- Direct TPA and outside counsel’s handling of pleadings, discovery, and strategy, ensuring cost-containment and accountability to service agreements and expectations.
- Attend and participate in mediations, settlement conferences, and trials. Identify and pursue subrogation opportunities.
General Risk Management Duties (Represents 20% of the job duties):
- Create and implement protocols and processes and select new vendors to mitigate claim severity and costs and drive favorable claim resolution.
- Assist in maintaining the risk management information system (RMIS) and management of vendor.
- Assist in oversight of catastrophic claims or event
- Serve on crisis response team and respond to after-hours emergency situations.
Ourideal candidate is experienced in successfully supervising claim professionals and handling premises liability claims. He/she will bring strong leadership skills and the ability to mentor and encourage behaviors that impact claim performance. This person should possess strong people skills and be comfortable interacting with a wide variety of professionals. The candidate should be able to effectively prioritize and multi-task in ateam environment, make essential decisions to positively impact change, and develop partnerships.
- Bachelor’s degree (B.A. or B.S.)
- 5+ years of complex claims experience in general liability, property damage, and worker’s compensation matters to include claims investigation, liability determination, reserving, settlement negotiation, and litigation management
- Licenses/Certifications:Licensed All-Lines Adjuster in at least one state and insurance designations (ARM, AIC, CPDM or CPCU) preferred, but not required
- Knowledge of workers compensation and high deductible claims
- Superior written and verbal communication skills
- Complete knowledge of claim procedures, technology, state and federal laws and insurance regulations
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values -A Commitment to Integrity,A Spirit of Caring, andA Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.