Staff Accountant II - Residential Services
Virginia Beach, VA 23450
Job Type: Non Exempt
State::VA City:Virginia Beach
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019.
At AvalonBay, every day you can make a difference in someone's life. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. From helping someone choose one of our communities as their home to providing great service throughout a resident's stay to supporting your fellow associates, your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work. Our purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and a Focus on Continuous Improvement - set us apart.
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation’s leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs), in the business of acquiring, selling, constructing, developing, redeveloping and managing high-quality apartment communities in leading metropolitan areas primarily in New England, the New York/New Jersey Metro area, the Mid-Atlantic, the Pacific Northwest, and the Northern and Southern California regions of the United States. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates. We are looking for a Staff Accountant I - Residential Services to sit in ourVirginia Beach, VAoffice.
The Staff Accountant’s overall responsibility is to complete the analytics for specific categories within the financial statements in a timely manner.
- Analyze monthly account detail, research and explain significant variances for designated categories
- Analysis and reconciliation of specific general ledger accounts
- Perform month end revenue analysis
- Perform contract revenue analysis
- Perform mid-month utility analysis and process utility exceptions daily
- Complete routine and non-routine Journal Entries and document support
- Produce special financial reports and schedules requested by third parties
- Add/edit assets as appropriate in the fixed asset module
- Work with construction department to complete capex close
- Monitor and submit wires or ach payments according to contract terms
- Continuously monitor the Residential Services e-mail box and respond to site requests in a timely manner
- Investigate and resolve outstanding items
- Assist in keeping documentation of processes current
- Participate in special projects to improve efficiencies
The Staff Accountant will be required to have an undergraduate degree in Accounting from an accredited business school.
- Minimum 1-2 Years General Ledger experience.
- Excellent communication skills (both verbal and written).
- Strong ability to work under pressure and independently.
- Real Estate background desired but not required.
- Possess a strong customer service focus.
- Working knowledge of Excel, Access and Word. Experience with Visual Basic macros, pivot tables and lookup or sumif formulas a plus.
- Superior time management and organizational skills as well as demonstrated ability to develop strong analytical skills.
- Possesses a strong sense of teamwork and work ethic.
- Willing to work on a flexible schedule (some overtime required).
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.