Arlington, VA 20598
Job Type: Exempt
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019.
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Creating a better way to live is the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
The Payroll Director will provide strategic direction and expertise to the payroll function. The Payroll Director leads all aspects of payroll administration and maintains the operational effectiveness of the team. Ensures the payroll team is in compliance with the wage & hour laws, federal and state regulations and company’s policies. Creates short-term and long-term strategies for continuous improvement in payroll operations.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Establish and effectively execute department strategy and goals
- Lead, manage, and develop Payroll team. Establish individual goals and foster environment of collaboration, teamwork, and customer service. Demonstrate and enforce the Company’s core values and cultural norms.
- Ensure accurate and timely processing of the Company’s payroll in accordance with federal and state regulations and legislative compliance requirements.
- Ensure annual payroll tax reconciliation is timely and accurate, compliance with filing returns and issuing W-2.
- Ensure state and federal tax rates are kept current in the payroll system and tax related information that is delivered to third party vendor systems.
- Direct and audit payroll procedures to include earnings, garnishments, ESPP deductions, annual/monthly/quarterly cash bonus, restricted stock lapses, dividend payments, tax withholding and leave of absence processing.
- Partner and collaborate with various teams in Human Resources, Housing Team, Accounting and IT to ensure process efficiency
- Recommend and implement process improvements and create opportunities for automation and reduction of manual processes
- Identifies and coordinates changes in policy and procedures governed by federal, state and local laws that impact the payroll function
- Maintain confidentiality of any payroll, private employee information and ensures payroll information is secure
- Develops documentation and trains team on payroll practices
Bachelor’s degree is strongly preferred and a minimum of 10 years of payroll operations experience is required. 5 years of supervisory/management experience preferred. In addition, must have:
- Extensive knowledge of payroll policies and procedures and corresponding federal, state and local regulations
- Demonstrated ability to lead and manage, including selecting, coaching, and developing team members.
- Knowledge and skills to develop and deliver payroll related training and communications.
- Consultative and customer service orientation.
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft HR and Kronos systems preferred.
American Payroll Association (APA) and Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) preferred.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values -A Commitment to Integrity,A Spirit of Caring, andA Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.