Director, Treasury Operations and Compliance
Chicago, IL 60601
Working for Equity Residential (EQR), a leading multi-family real estate investment trust (REIT), means being part of a community and striving to provide the best in apartment living, speaking boldly about new ideas for innovation, and inspiring creativity in the ways we work together. Our portfolio of high-quality properties in urban growth markets – New York City, Boston, Washington DC, Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles – provides homes where people most want to live, work and play. We've got the best people in the business, and our experience shows in our dedication to our residents and in how much we value each other as colleagues. That’s why our employees say they are proud to work at Equity, a company that gives our residents a place where they can “Live Remarkably,” and offers a culture where our employees have the opportunity to make their mark.
We are currently seeking a Director of Treasury Operations and Compliance to join our Treasury team in our Chicago corporate office. As Director, you will provide leadership to a team responsible for our treasury department’s operations and compliance while also contributing to the strategic direction of the overall Treasury Department. This position interacts with key partners across Finance, Legal, IT and Property Operations and also contributes to technology initiatives.
- A Leader. You build effective teams and provide direction to help team members achieve goals and operate cooperatively and cohesively.
- Intellectually Curious. You are inherently interested in the “why” so that you can identify opportunities that represent unconventional solutions to the problems you are trying to solve.
- Detailed and Process-Oriented. You will improve and enforce control processes.
- Trusted Team Player. You enjoy partnering with others and build constructive working relationships that foster the collaboration necessary to deliver great results. You are accountable to your teammates and follow through on commitments.
- Organized and Confident. You are flexible, composed, and able to prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously, while confidently interacting with a variety of individuals, across all levels of the organization. You handle pressure well and do so with confidence.
- A Strong Communicator. You are articulate, effective, and persuasive in your verbal and written communication, helping you connect well with others.
- Assist in preparing and managing annual budgets and forecasts, including the quarterly reforecast for commercial paper and revolver interest expense and the subsequent variance analysis.
- Develop strategies to maximize efficiencies, safeguard assets and minimize costs.
- Oversee all Cash Management functions, including cash positioning, cash reporting and forecasting, short-term-investing and borrowing, wire and ACH payments, fraud prevention, bank account setup and maintenance, and bank relationship management.
- Oversee processing of daily positive pay activity.
- Manage segregated security deposits and other miscellaneous investments.
- Lead the administration of circa $9 billion in unsecured and secured debt. Manage debt portfolio in the Quantum Treasury Workstation, including adding deals for new debt issuance, unwinding deals upon payoff, and posting adjusting entries for interest rate timing issues.
- Deploy appropriate procedures and processes around month-end and quarter-close activity (including preparation of Weighted Average Debt Reports for earnings release disclosure).
- Coordinate execution and maintenance of documentation with bank counterparties, including ISDA agreements. Control that derivatives are transacted in accordance with policy; perform quarterly valuations.
- Track and monitor compliance with covenants for both secured and unsecured debt portfolio.
- Partner with Internal Audit on all internal and external Treasury-department related audits.
- Identify cybersecurity and fraud risks within Treasury processes and implement mitigation strategies as appropriate.
- Participate in the design and implementation of the company’s Business Continuity Plan.
Treasury Technology and Continuous Improvement
- Assist in managing commercial relationships with Treasury technology vendors.
- Act as system administrator granting access and user entitlements within the banks’ treasury management platforms.
- Periodically communicate with banks or other vendors concerning new treasury management products and services.
- Partner with Property Operations and IT teams to deliver excellent support to property level cash management needs, including contribution to identifying and implementing payments solutions to our residents.
- Participate in special projects, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Economics or Accounting required; MBA strongly preferred.
- CPA or CPA eligibility is a plus.
- At least 8 years of experience in Treasury operations debt and derivatives administration and compliance and cash management, preferably in a publicly-traded company.
- Real estate experience preferred, but not required.
- At least 5 years people management experience.
- Deep familiarity with banking, treasury services, eCommerce payments, including related systems and platforms preferred.
- Certified Treasury Professional (CTP) preferred.
- Strong analytical and communication skills; detail-oriented and well-organized, with an ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize various responsibilities.
We recognize that everyone has different needs outside of work. That’s why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique options to employees, like adoption benefits and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.
401k Retirement Plan
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
Internal Training Programs
Stock Purchase Plan