Workers Compensation & Claims Manager
Arlington, VA 20598
Job Type: Exempt
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019.
We are one of the nation’s leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT’s), in the business of constructing, developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing high-quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates. We are looking for a Workers Compensation & Claims Manager to join our Risk Management team at our Arlington, Virginia Headquarters.
This position is responsible for supporting the Risk Management department in a variety of matters including oversight of general liability and property damage claims.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Claims Management Duties (Represents 80% of the job duties)
- Responsible for the oversight and management of the workers compensation program and certain general liability and property damage claims.
- Works with outside adjusters, case managers, business partners, counsel, and injured employees.
- Works with Human Resources, Benefits, Safety/Residential Services to coordinate injured workers care, claims administration and return to work issues, as well as remedial action plans.
- Review incident reports and clarify/collect additional information as needed. Direct third party claim administrators and coordinate periodic claims review meetings and audits.
- Monitor claims to ensure they are actively managed, loss reserves are appropriate, and make settlement recommendations and approve settlements within designated authority level.
- Prepare periodic claim reports evaluating loss reserves, loss forecasts and loss allocations as needed.
General Risk Management Duties (Represents 20% of the job duties)
- Identify Company’s risk and trends, and research, evaluate and make recommendations on risk management, insurance, safety, loss control and claims management.
- Assists with collection and management of current and historical exposure information and prepares information for certain underwriting submissions for insurance programs.
- Coordinates recovery efforts against insurance carriers for insurable claims.
- Prepares data collection for actuarial and reserve analysis.
- Assists on crisis response team and responds to after-hours emergency situations as needed. Also assists in oversight of catastrophic claims or events.
Ourideal candidate brings strong leadership skills and is experienced in successfully supervising claim professionals. He/she will bring sound technical knowledge of workers' compensation policies, coverages and exposures. This person should possess strong people skills and be comfortable interacting with a wide variety of professionals. The candidate should be able to effectively prioritize and multi-task in a team environment, make essential decisions to positively impact change, and develop partnerships.
- Education:Undergraduate degree in a Business, Finance or related
- Experience: 5+ years workers compensation claims adjusting required; liability claims adjusting experience desired, management experience preferred.
- Licenses/Certifications: Licensed Claims Adjuster in at least one state required; Associate in Claims (AIC) or other designations preferred, but not required.
- Complete knowledge of claim procedures, technology, state and federal laws and insurance regulations.
- Ability to travel as needed.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values -A Commitment to Integrity,A Spirit of Caring, andA Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.