Arlington, VA 20598
Job Type: Exempt
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019.
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Creating a better way to liveis the purpose that binds AvalonBay associates.We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. By focusing on collaboration, innovation, and taking ownership of our choices and actions, we act in ways that focus on creating value for our customers, investors and associates. Your positive, professional, and consistentpersonal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work.
The Tax Accountant ensures tax compliance by preparing tax returns internally, as well as compiling information necessary for outside tax preparers. This position is also responsible for Federal tax compliance work, including areas of corporate income tax, partnership tax, and tax compliance issues specific to a Real Estate Investment Trust (REIT). There is also State tax compliance work including corporate income tax, partnership tax, sales & use tax, and business personal property returns.This role also researches tax issues as needed and provides support to associates on tax issues.
Specific duties will include but are not limited to:
- Prepares Excel-based tax packages for outside tax preparers, which includes general ledger information, book to tax adjustments, and other information necessary to finalize income tax returns
- Prepares in-house tax returns
- Performs taxable income projections on a quarterly basis, as well as executing REIT asset and income tests on a quarterly basis for 15 REIT entities
- Runs reports from internal accounting systems and prepares business personal property returns and business license renewals
- Assists with sales and use tax filings
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Tax required
- Minimum 2 years in an accounting or tax-based position
- Tax experience with a REIT preferred
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values -A Commitment to Integrity,A Spirit of Caring, andA Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.