Chicago, IL 60601
We are in search of a resourceful, efficient, detail-oriented financial professional and team player to join our corporate team in our Chicago headquarters as a Tax Specialist. As a Tax Specialist, you will be responsible for the accurate and timely preparation of federal, state and local tax returns for Equity Residential and its related entities. Additionally, you will gather information and research tax laws to support the company’s overall tax initiatives and correspond with agencies as necessary. Each day will be unique, requiring an ability to think strategically and on your feet, be creative, take initiative, and employ a diverse set of skills.
- A Strong Communicator. Your writing and speaking skills are clear and effective, helping you connect well with others.
- A Team Player. You are united with teammates in delivering on all commitments.
- Organized. You are flexible and able to juggle multiple tasks and priorities in order to complete all assignments within the established due dates.
- Motivated. You invest extra time and energy to accomplish goals.
- Solution-Oriented. You follow through on commitments, co-workers and business partners know that they can count on you.
- Prepare federal, state and local tax returns for Equity Residential and its related entities, especially focusing on partnership returns requiring more in-depth tax or accounting knowledge, according to the Tax Department due dates.
- Prepare federal and state extension requests and quarterly estimated tax payments for the various companies in accordance with Tax Department deadlines and procedures.
- Prepare various state and local annual reports.
- Gather management and accounting information. Obtain any necessary clarification, request additional information and communicate with various departments concerning any problems that arise. Incorporate information gathered into tax workpapers and schedules.
- Conduct research as necessary to determine compliance with tax laws. Read periodicals to maintain knowledge about changing tax laws, planning opportunities, filing requirements, etc. Use tax research resources regularly.
- Research, resolve and respond to state and federal regulatory agencies’ notices. Draft correspondence with federal and state taxing agencies in connection with notices and filing inquiries, as needed. Responsible for notice resolution according to the procedures and timing established by the Tax Department.
- Review corporate and partnership legal documents and correspondence as needed to ensure correct preparation of tax returns.
- Prepare quarterly and annual REIT tests for all REIT’s in the EQR organizational structure.
- Conduct various tax research projects as assigned by Supervisor. Present findings to the rest of the Tax Department, as necessary.
- Prepare various calculations and tracking schedules as required, ie. tracking taxable gains, property attributes, secured debt, etc.
- Communicate tax findings, issues, project status, workload, etc. on a regular basis using appropriate communication vehicles.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or other related field with equivalent combination of coursework and professional tax experience.
- Some accounting or tax experience is preferred, but is not required.
- Must possess strong analytical communication and follow-up skills and have a basic working knowledge of partnership and corporate, federal and state taxation.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Excel; exposure to databases and/or tax preparation software a plus.
We recognize that everyone has different needs outside of work. That’s why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique options to employees, like adoption benefits and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.
401k Retirement Plan
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
Internal Training Programs
Stock Purchase Plan