Real Estate Development Intern
Tarzana, CA 91356
Position is for a Real Estate Development (RED) Intern to work at EAH Corporate located in Tarzana, CA. Qualified Candidates will have Bachelor’s degree or if still in school, course work in any of the following fields of study: architecture, real estate development, finance, planning, economics or construction management. Education in other fields of study would be acceptable combined with appropriate work experience. Some related work or field work experience in matters related to affordable housing development such as residential architecture, finance, planning, construction, etc. is desired but not required. Valid California Driver’s license and access to reliable transportation required.
EAH Housing has been developing, managing and promoting affordable housing since 1968. We are one of the largest and most respected nonprofit housing development and management organizations in the western United States. With a staff of over 450, EAH develops multi-family housing, manages over 100 properties in California and Hawaii, and plays a leadership role in local, regional and national housing advocacy efforts.
At EAH, we put our core values into action on a daily basis. We recognize that training is a critical investment in the success of our employees and in the continued excellence of EAH. Please visit our website to learn more about our culture and read employee comments to learn more about what it would be like to work at EAH.
For immediate consideration please apply to requisition REALE02017 on our website at www.eahhousing.org/careers
Provides general support to Real Estate Development (RED) staff, including specific project coordination, managing application processing for grants and other funding, and records maintenance. Also responsible for assisting with acquisition activities, including the evaluation of potential projects and responding to solicitations for proposals consistent with the company’s mission and strategic plan. This position is characterized by high initiative, responsibility, accountability and ability to work congenially with a wide variety of individuals, community based organizations and governmental entities. Also involves completing special projects for President, Senior VP, Directors of Development, including research and funding applications.
- General Project Management Assistance. Under the direction of the Director of RED, provides affordable housing project management support to several Project Managers as needed in connection with various new construction and rehabilitation transactions, including processing documents and letters, making and receiving phone calls, creating memos, maintaining records, faxing and mailing documents.
- Potential Project and Market Research Performs feasibility research on potential projects including pro forma analysis, market comparables, basic density assessments and determining funding availability. Additionally researches specific markets for availability of local funding.
- Funding Applications. May assemble applications to various funders, including HOME/CDBG, Tax Credit Allocation Committee (TCAC), California Housing Finance Agency, HUD, etc. Maintains a working file of updated standard EAH documents and forms from other organizations used in applications.
- Project Background Data Collection. Works to obtain information on various acquisition projects by visiting and photographing sites and adjacent areas, meeting with Resident Managers, conducting research, and contacting various persons regarding information needs.
- Protocol Administration: Assists Project Managers with management of departmental checklist, authorization and administration; assists with other protocols, including predevelopment budgets, decision memos, board presentations, etc.
- Information Requests. Follows through on questions and requests from outside parties for documents and information on specific projects and general information
- Draw Assistance. May assists with loan draws and capital grants including obtaining vendor invoices from Accounting, verifying what is unpaid, creating summary charts, gaining approvals and organizing a package to be sent to HUD, if necessary.
- Staff Meetings. Attends and communicates in staff meetings and works with team
- Research. Conducts miscellaneous research on reporting tasks, funding source reporting schedules, application processing, etc.
- Due Diligence. Assists Business Development with all basic due diligence work on potential sites deemed generally viable for development purposes. Due diligence review includes reviewing preliminary title reports, evaluating infrastructure review with local public works and building officials, estimating market values through comparable sales analysis prior to appraisal, and assessing ability to obtain entitlements for contemplated projects in the context of local general plan and zoning designations.
- Special Projects. Assists the President and SVP with special projects and assignments, including maintenance of the data sheets and general project tracking.
- Announcements. Creates flyers and announcements for special purposes at projects
- Plan Participation. Actively participates in EAH’s Injury and Illness Prevention Plan.
- Attendance. Regular and predictable attendance.
- Other. Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree or if still in school course work in any of the following fields of study: architecture, real estate development, finance, planning, economics or construction management. Education in other fields of study would be acceptable combined with appropriate work experience. Some related work or field work experience in matters related to affordable housing development such as residential architecture, finance, planning, construction, etc. is desired but not required. Valid California Driver’s license and access to reliable transportation required.
CRIMINAL BACKGROUND CHECK REQUIREMENTS
EAH Housing conducts criminal background checks on all candidates who have received a conditional job offer. Once you have receive such an offer, you will be required to submit and pass our criminal background requirements. Please be advised that certain roles may also require fingerprinting due to legal requirements. If onsite housing is a requirement of the position, any household members over 18 years of age who will be living onsite with the candidate must also undergo a criminal background check and tenant screening. Satisfactory completion of background check and fingerprinting requirements is a requirement of employment with EAH.
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, as well as a 403(b) retirement plan with a percentage match. We also offer a generous vacation accrual, holiday schedule and work schedule flexibility.
EAH Housing is an AA/EEO/Veterans/Disabled Employer. CA BRE #00853495 | HI RB-16985