Sr. Building Systems Engineer
Arlington, VA 20598
Job Type: Exempt
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019.
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
Reporting to the Director of Engineering, the Sr. Building Systems Engineer is responsible for providing technical support for all building systems, identifying equipment reliability opportunities and improving quality. The associate will also assist portfolio directors and on-site maintenance staff with trouble shooting, managing capital projects and completing community evaluations.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Provide engineering support for onsite team with systems and equipment. Assist with preventative maintenance requirements, process improvements, equipment selection and service vendors.
- Assist with trouble shooting when there is significant resident impact or is a reoccurring building system issue.
- Provide technical support and recommendations for building system improvements or replacements.
- Perform or assist with community evaluations. Determining the condition of assets as well as making recommendations for improvements processes or equipment.
- Identify potential building improvement or repair projects.
- Evaluate & make recommendations for building systems efficiency improvements.
- Project management of capital expenditure (CapEx) projects such as major design changes, performance improvements, significant process changes, reliability improvements.
- Review and provide comment for new development including: standards, building systems, existing conditions, equipment, and maintenance feasibility & logistics.
- Provide project support for: equipment selection, apartment acceptance, standards review and trouble shooting.
- Participate throughout the building commissioning, startup, training and acceptance processes.
Our ideal candidate brings aBachelor’s Degree in Engineering or equivalent field plus 8 + years of experience providing engineering support for systems in the real estate industry, preferably in multifamily. Experience with high rise, midrise and garden style buildings and systems also preferred.
- 5+ years of experience with development, budgeting, and execution of capital expenditure projects
- Strong working knowledge of all building systems including but not limited to: MEP, commissioning, life safety, HVAC, and other centralized systems is desired
- Working knowledge of envelope systems including facades, windows and roofing
Experience with the following:
- HVAC, Chillers, boilers, cooling towers, condensers, split systems, heat pumps, and Aqua-therm, pumps, generators, water treatment.
- Standard and enhanced fire alarm systems.
- Proficient with energy management systems.
- Experience mitigating indoor air quality and other environmental issues.
- Familiarization with Sub-metering for utilities.
- Ability to distinguish between color-coded wires for troubleshooting and repairs to central systems.
- Customer service mindset plus an understanding of consistent standards in building operation, shop organization, life safety issues, Haz-Mat issues, emergency procedures, confined spaces and asbestos.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values -A Commitment to Integrity,A Spirit of Caring, andA Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.