Housing Compliance Specialist
Upland, CA 91785
Housing Compliance Specialist
The Lewis Group of Companies, one of the largest privately-owned real estate developers in the nation, is actively seeking a Housing Compliance Specialist its fast-growing portfolio of California apartment communities.
Under the direction of our Manager, CA Property Management Operations, you will be responsible for determining applicant eligibility and maintaining resident compliance for all housing assistance programs, including BOND and HUD voucher programs.
Some of your responsibilities will include:
- Serve as the designated contact and subject matter expert for all housing compliance programs, including BOND, and HUD voucher programs (Section 8, VASH, Bond, affordable).
- Ensure compliance with BOND and HUD income requirements, utility allowances, and yearly rent updates.
- Support the on-site management with income qualification, re-certifications if needed and compliance related initiatives.
- Determine eligibility for assistance and occupancy in accordance with program guidelines
- Visit sites regularly to review/finalize pre-approved resident files (local and regional travel required).
- Attend apartment inspections with program inspectors as requested.
- Assist on-site staff with certifying applicants/tenants as required per BOND and/or HUD voucher program guidelines.
- Perform file audits and re-certifications annually for all housing compliance programs
- Complete monthly and annual compliance reporting to the appropriate counties and HUD agencies.
- Investigate and resolve issues with payment discrepancies from HUD agencies as necessary.
- Prepare for and attend affordable and HUD-assisted Management and Occupancy Reviews performed by state and regulatory agencies.
- Centralize response for incoming inquiries from site staff with questions directly related to income and asset eligibility, rents, and property-specific compliance requirements.
- Stays current in the knowledge of trends, laws, and compliance issues impacting the property management industry.
- Works closely with the LMC Associate Counsel and outside legal counsel (as necessary) when administering and auditing compliance practices.
- Works closely with Operations team to improve existing documents and internal policies to ensure they meet the needs of the business and are in compliance with applicable housing programs.
- Manage the intake of IS related tickets generated from the field to respond to inquiries as needed.
- Assist with income and application reviews in partnership with the management team.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Ability to work efficiently, independently, and with minimal supervision.
- Ability to understand and interpret legal documents and guidelines.
- Must handle and prioritize multiple projects and documents simultaneously.
- Superior verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills.
- Demonstrates a high level of attention to detail in work product.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel.
- Understands and follow oral and written instructions.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills.
- An understanding of residential property management processes is preferred.
- Team-oriented and able to effectively collaborate and communicate.
- As a member of the Residential Property Management department, must possess and exhibit a positive and supportive attitude with a focus on superior internal customer service.
- High School diploma or GED equivalent required; a BA/BS degree is preferred.
- Strong knowledge of BOND and HUD voucher program regulations.
- Two years of housing compliance program experience is preferred.
- Project-based HUD voucher program experience is preferred.
- Experience with Realpage property management software is a plus.
- Familiarity with One-Site software is a plus.
- Requires standard computer/internet/email skills.
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENTS: As our new Housing Compliance Specialist, you will be required to visit Lewis communities, so use of a personal vehicle and valid license & insurance is required (mileage is compensated)
This is an excellent opportunity to join a name-recognized, growing company with a strong history and a broad future within Southern California. Advancement opportunities available! Full med/dental benefits plans, 401k plan with company match, insurance, apartment discounts & more!
More Company info, please visit www.lewiscareers.com
Lewis Apartment Communities is an equal opportunity employer