Portfolio Maintenance Director
Boston, MA 02108
Job Type: Exempt
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019.
Come be part of an award-winning company! AvalonBay, an S&P 500 company, is in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing luxury apartments in the multi-family housing industry. We are looking for enthusiastic, customer service focused individuals to be a part of our award-winning team. So if you're looking for a rewarding career opportunity with the top property management organization in the country, we'd like to hear from you!
The Portfolio Operations Director will be responsible for the managing the maintenance operations of a portfolio of assigned communities, including direct oversight of the on-site maintenance managers, computer systems utilization, the selection and oversight of third-party vendors, and quality control. PMD works in partnership with the Portfolio Operations Director to deliver on portfolio customer service and expense control performance. Supervises maintenance managers throughout the assigned portfolio as well as any relevant third-party suppliers and vendors. Responsible for recruiting, scheduling, work assignments and performance appraisals makes decisions and recommendations regarding hiring and termination.
- Manage maintenance operations related to the portfolio of assigned communities such as staff recruitment/retention, training, financial budget planning and performance, customer service, and third-party vendors/suppliers to maximize revenue, control expense, improve customer satisfaction.
- Determine adequate staff levels for assigned communities, evaluate skill levels of maintenance personnel, set goals for maintenance managers and evaluate performance, act as a leader and mentor to develop local maintenance managers. Plan and schedule meetings regularly to develop initiatives related to portfolio maintenance operations.
- Develop, implement, and monitor effective programs designed to provide the appropriate level of maintenance service at each of the assigned communities.
- Manage the flow of information to ensure that the overhead management team and the on-site maintenance teams are aware of relevant business issues specific to the maintenance operation.
- Partner with Portfolio Operations Director to ensure appropriate levels of customer service/satisfaction are maintained in communities across the portfolio; design and implement strategies to address issues.
- Participate as member of asset team for new communities and redevelopment projects.
- Prepare maintenance related operating budget for portfolio of assigned communities.
- Working under direction of the RMD to implement and manage engineering and maintenance policies, procedures and strategies such as safety, ADA, environmental O&M plans, field training, energy programs, preventive maintenance, the acceptance process, maintenance manager development and performance, etc.
- Assist the RMD in the annual capex budget development process; identify and prioritize projects, solicit pricing, and input budgets.
- Execute capex projects at the direction of the RMD; solicit bids, prepare contracts, manage projects and process payments.
- Participate in regional initiatives to facilitate sharing of best practices, task force membership, and cross training; manage continuous improvement efforts by identifying and implementing initiatives to improve the overall maintenance operation at each of the assigned communities and the portfolio overall.
- Provide oversight of the disaster recovery process; ensure that maintenance managers and associate teams have appropriate tools and resources, and that associates comply with company policies.
- Ensure that customer service issues related to maintenance in the assigned portfolio are addressed in a timely manner.
- Utilize various systems to monitor and analyze trends regarding the effectiveness of maintenance programs, the improvement of customer satisfaction, the efficiencies and expense control and the management of on-site maintenance teams.
- Resolve employee relation issues and provide developmental support to subordinates via coaching, counseling, and training; ensure that a pool of succession candidates is available to meet business goals.
- Ensure compliance with all federal, state, and local laws specifically related to the maintenance operations for the assigned portfolio.
Bachelor's degree (engineering a plus) or 5 years of progressive maintenance management responsibility in property management, building services, hospitality or other dynamic environment.
5-7 years of management experience overseeing multiple direct reports in the maintenance/engineering function.
- Ability to utilize software and AVB systems such as Microsoft Office (word processing, spreadsheets, presentations), Corrigo, OpsTechnology, Foundation and other systems currently in use as well as those that may be deployed for use in the future.
- Ability to read and write English as demonstrated by clear and concise written and verbal communications; demonstrated ability to create and deliver presentations on maintenance operations-related subject matter, read and interpret architectural and engineering plans/drawings and to write reports in a clear concise manner.
- Ability to perform basic arithmetic and measurements in order to do basic calculations and analysis such as estimating and determining averages, percentages and totals.
- Valid driver’s license and automobile insurance.
- Certification in systems such as HVAC, boilers, chillers, cooling towers, fire, steam, electrical and plumbing consistent with the specific needs of the assigned portfolio of communities.
- Other licenses and certifications as required by state or local jurisdictions.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.