Software Engineering Summer Intern
Arlington, VA 20598
Job Type: Non Exempt
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019.
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation's leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT's), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 82,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
As an intern at AvalonBay, you’ll have the opportunity to tackle a challenging project hands-on with the support of your peers and team. There’s no better way to prepare for a full-time career than by digging in and experiencing collaboration and problem solving first-hand.
Designed to foster the next generation of leaders in technology, this internship provides the framework to develop world-class technical skills and gain a comprehensive understanding of technology and our business. Our interns are involved in some of the company’s most critical business decisions as they execute on projects in a collaborative and team-oriented environment. As a valued member of the team, our interns interact with business leaders to deliver results in a real-world setting, giving them the opportunity to showcase their various technical and non-technical competencies.
Who You Are:
- You’re excited by a team environment.
- You are curious. Youlike to learn new technologies, and you adapt well to change.
- You are passionate about current state-of-the-art software technologies and tools, with experience implementing them effectively.
- You are excited about working with a cloud-native stack, building on AWS and Azure using technologies like Serverless.
- You possess a sense of intellectual curiosity and a burning desire to learn.
- You are motivated and actively looking for ways to contribute.
- You are passionately focused on the customer and the details that make their experience exceptional.
- You value data and truth over ego.
- You possess a strong sense of engineering craftsmanship, take pride in the code for which you’re responsible.
- You’re pragmatic - you make the best use of time and resources to find the simplest workable solution.
- You think and act like an owner, taking personal responsibility for both team and product success.
- You possess great communication and reasoning skills, including the ability to influence and make a strong case for technology choices.
- You thrive incollaborativeagileteams and are ready to take on new and unexpected challenges while building the next wave of engineering solutions.
- Enrolled in a Bachelor’s degree program in a technical and/or quantitative discipline, including computer science, computer engineering, information systems, information technology, and mathematics. Preferred anticipated graduation between December 2020 and August 2021.
- Strong analytical, quantitative, problem solving and conceptual skills
- Strong interpersonal, leadership and communication skills
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.