Internal Audit Summer Intern
Arlington, VA 20598
Job Type: Non Exempt
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019.
AvalonBay Communities is one of the nation’s leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REITs), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Southeast, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 80,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates. We are currently searching for an Internal Audit Summer Intern to join team at our Headquarters in Arlington, VA.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Assist the Internal Audit department in the performance of duties as requested by the Audit Committee and Senior Management.
- Assist with preparation the Company’s annual entity level and fraud control assessments.
- Maintain, prepare, review, modify and critique Sarbanes-Oxley related internal control standards, documentation, policies and procedures.
- Prepare pre-audit preparatory data & analysis of community, construction and development based information.
- Asset with conducting reviews of community and corporate functional activities.
- Maintain and document Sarbanes-Oxley and Internal Audit department standards, policies and practices.
- Assist with performing special reviews, consultations, research projects or other tasks as directed.
- Completed introductory and intermediate accounting/auditing classes prior to the internship period.
- Available to work 30-40 hours a week (Monday – Friday) during summer break.
- Demonstrated ability to: communicate effectively, both informally and formally (verbally and in writing); apply creative thinking and sound reasoning; work in a team orientated environment and interact independently and effectively with all levels of personnel; strong time management and organization skills; appropriately handle confidential information; develop and maintain positive interpersonal relationships; motivates ones self and others to achieve established objectives; be detailed oriented; work proficiently with Microsoft Office Products.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.