Assistant Vice President, Construction Management
San Francisco, CA 94102
Equity Residential is committed to creating communities where people thrive. The Company, publicly traded on the NYSE (EQR) and a member of the S&P 500, is focused on the acquisition, development and management of rental apartment properties located in urban and high-density suburban communities where today’s renters want to live, work, and play. Equity Residential owns or has investments in more than 300 properties consisting of over 80,000 apartment units, primarily located in Boston, New York, Washington D.C., Seattle, San Francisco, Southern CA and Denver.
As an Assistant Vice President of Construction Management, you will report to the First Vice President of Construction Management and will be responsible for providing leadership and oversight of multiple, complex construction projects within your region. On a daily basis, you will promote and facilitate a collaborative effort between Equity Residential’s Construction Management and Development teams, Equity Development Partners, Asset Managers, Operations, and General Contractors to ensure long-term hold-oriented design decisions are executed and construction issues are resolved appropriately. You will be responsible for all construction operations consisting of overall budgeting, cost control, construction design, product quality and management of the design consultants within your region. Additionally, you will develop site logistics, construction scheduling, and sequencing, as well as coordinate staff, consultants, contractors, jurisdictional agencies and utilities to deliver quality projects on time and within budget.
WHO YOU ARE
- A Leader. You build effective teams and provide direction to help those teams achieve goals and operate cooperatively and cohesively.
- A Strong Communicator. Your writing and speaking skills are clear, articulate, and effective, demonstrating your ability to interact with all levels and helping you connect well with others.
- Organized, Efficient, and Accountable. You have a keen eye for detail and pride yourself on delivering quality work. You multitask well, re-prioritize accordingly, and meet deadlines consistently. Above all, you are flexible and able to juggle the needs of changing priorities of the business.
- Analytical and Creative. You are comfortable analyzing and deciphering data, and evaluating trends. You’ve got strong quantitative skills and you know how to apply them accordingly. You also like thinking outside the box to come up with smart solutions to new challenges, and embrace the day-to-day construction management activities that challenge you to live in the gray.
- A Solution-Oriented Team Player. You enjoy partnering with others —whether internal or external— in order to get work done and deliver great results. You are united with teammates and follow through on commitments.
- Decisive. You have a sense of urgency to drive great results, are precise with executing your work, and have successfully demonstrated your ability to effectively influence others.
- Evaluate, manage, and oversee the development and construction of multiple projects, from design through final project completion.
- Effectively partner with internal and external Developers to direct and perform due diligence, design, value engineer and attain project approvals, including all products and materials.
- Review and evaluate consultant, vendor, and contractor agreements and change orders as prepared by Development and Construction Managers.
- Initiate and maintain effective communication and documentation with management personnel, including Operations, Asset Management, Construction Services and other internal departments that have input or may be impacted by the projects throughout the development and construction process.
- Manage and professionally develop Assistant Vice President of Construction Management and/or Construction Manager(s), along with directing contractors and consultants throughout the construction progress.
- Work with development team on future projects, providing accurate cost/feasibility information, monitoring planning and design for budget conformity and project constructability, and leading contractor selection process.
- Prepare, negotiate, and finalize detailed and complex construction contracts (GMPs) with EQR Legal Department for review and final approval by Senior VP-Construction Management.
- Provide detailed attention and approval to General Contractor staffing, phasing plans, and construction schedule, reporting to Project team on process.
- Evaluate and approve critical path schedules from contractors, including required updates and any recovering schedules.
- Ensure timely recognition of potential issues, adequately implementing action plans to resolve conflicts with minimal interruption to schedules or cost impacts to projects.
- Receive, inspect, and approve all progress reports, costs, payment schedules, and all reports of the project team.
- Conduct meetings with key Development and Construction personnel and consultants on the construction progress and enact any necessary changes.
- Participate in design meetings, providing pre-construction input on cost, design, schedule and construction means and methods, including the use of General Contractor input for validation of assumptions.
- Support and coordinate compliance with FHA and ADA requirements, and compliance with local jurisdictional requirements associated with the projects.
- Ensure maintenance of complete project records including contract, change order files, project reports, schedules, budget/cost reports, contractor/subcontractor information, plans, specifications and other logs, milestone inspections and field reports.
- Provide support to effectively achieve project completion, acceptance and turnover to internal operations in a timely manner, including final review and approval of all invoices/payment requests — ensuring all payments are within contracted/budgeted accounts and that work has been performed to Equity standards.
- Monitor construction market conditions and maintain historical data on materials, and general contractor/subcontractor construction cost.
- Act as an effective owner liaison with all building officials and governmental agencies.
- Continually investigate and research new means of construction, new products and building materials to ensure we are leading the industry in delivering the highest quality product for the most economical cost.
- Bachelor’s degree required; degree in a related field (construction management, engineering, real estate, or business) preferred.
- 10+ years of progressive experience in project management of complex urban, mid and high-rise building projects, with the majority of time specifically spent on residential (apartment/condo) construction.
- Excellent organizational and communication skills are required.
- Must have excellent analytical skills, be detail oriented, have good business sense, and be able to work on numerous projects concurrently and prioritize workload independently.
- Proficient in the use of Google, Microsoft Excel, Word, Project, Primavera, Sure Track, and other programs as necessary.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills and knowledge of work processes, spreadsheets, and EQR systems required as well as strong presentation skills.
- Some travel may be required.
We recognize everyone has different needs outside of work. That’s why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique options to employees, like adoption benefits and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.
401k Retirement Plan
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
Internal Training Programs
Stock Purchase Plan