Office Services Director
Chicago, IL 60601
Working for Equity Residential (EQR), a leading multi-family real estate investment trust (REIT), means being part of a community and striving to provide the best in apartment living, speaking boldly about new ideas for innovation, and inspiring creativity in the ways we work together. Our portfolio of high-quality properties in urban growth markets – New York City, Boston, Washington DC, Seattle, San Francisco and Los Angeles – provides homes where people most want to live, work and play. We've got the best people in the business, and our experience shows in our dedication to our residents and in how much we value each other as colleagues. That’s why our employees say they are proud to work at Equity, a company that gives our residents a place where they can “Live Remarkably,” and offers a culture where our employees have the opportunity to make their mark.
The Office Services Director is responsible for ensuring the smooth and efficient management of the Equity Residential’s corporate office facility operations, both independently and as a manager of a small office services team. As our Office Services Director, you will direct and oversee policies and procedures related to the establishment and administration of office space, leases, equipment and supplies, and dissemination of mail/packages and mail fulfillment services to support the operation and departments at EQR’s various corporate offices. You will partner with building management to ensure safety, security, and evacuation procedures are met. Additionally, you will serve as a point of contact for internal contractors performing work for EQR. .
- A Leader. You build effective teams and provide direction to help team members achieve goals and operate cooperatively and cohesively.
- Results-Oriented. You demonstrate an inherent sense of urgency to drive great results, while being precise in executing your work. You are facile with creating and communicating a clear project plan, tracking progress, and keeping your business partners in the loop along the way.
- Intellectually Curious. You're inherently interested in the "why" so that you can identify opportunities that represent unconventional solutions to the problems you are trying to solve.
- A Strong Communicator. Your writing and speaking skills are concise, articulate, and effective, providing an ability to interact with all levels/various teams across the organization, be understood, and develop trust and rapport within the organization.
- Technologically Savvy. Microsoft Excel is a basic tool to you that you know like the back of your hand. You also have a strong skill set in R, Python, Hadoop, ArcGIS, machine learning, neural networks and/or other advanced analytics tools and techniques.
- Trusted Team Player. You enjoy partnering with others and build constructive working relationships that foster the collaboration necessary to deliver great results. You are accountable to your teammates and follow through on commitments.
- Organized and Confident. You are flexible, composed, and able to prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously, while confidently interacting with a variety of individuals, across all levels of the organization. You handle pressure well and do so with confidence.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Manage administration of the Equity’s corporate office leases (Chicago headquarters and approximately 10 regional offices), including renewals, expirations, expansion and reductions, renovations, furnishings and operating expenses.
- Maintain responsibility for managing all ad hoc special projects related to Equity’s Chicago corporate office, including (but not limited to) heading up the move-in to our renovated headquarters in Spring 2020 and including establishment of office administration protocol in a new setting.
- Build, lead, and direct an office services team that cohesively works together to efficiently maintain kitchens, reception, outdoor patios and other common areas, copy/fax stations, conference rooms, and servicing of equipment on multiple floors, as well as ensuring everyone in the office has adequate supplies. Perform duties associated with managing employees or staff such as interviewing, training, and performance management.
- Responsible for the creation of, and measurements against, a budget for all office service/administrative costs.
- Oversee and modify as necessary the daily policies and procedures for office services department and reception, recommending changes to support the business and implementing new procedures as necessary.
- Coordinate the preparation of work space for new hires with internal teams. Obtain and program proper security credentials from building security. Ensure new employees are provided with appropriate work station, furniture, office supplies and other items as needed to positively impact the new hire experience.
- Oversee mailroom operations schedule including incoming/outgoing overnight mail, U.S. Mail, UPS, and all other package deliveries. Manage centralized copy operation providing copy, binding and assembly services. Monitor processing of large copy/assembly projects for internal distributions or presentations and external mass mailings.
- Maintain relationships with vendors and update contact information as representative’s change for various accounts. Facilitate discussions to review current pricing with established vendors on high usage items such as office supplies, toners, kitchen supplies and printed material to ensure the company is getting the best possible pricing.
- Assist in the review and approval of Office Supply purchases prior to department expenditures. Suggest more cost-efficient resources or items to departments when and if appropriate to ensure the best use of company dollars. Review and prepare all invoices to ensure charges are appropriately applied to cost centers for services rendered through the Office Services department; question charges that differ from initial agreement for services.
- In partnership with building management, maintain emergency procedures and periodically update company-specific safety manual. Maintain, coordinate and communicate emergency evacuation plans and emergency calling lists to the designated emergency team members. Participate in tenant evacuation drills scheduled by the Office of the Building with the Chicago Fire Department. Plan and execute annual Safety Days to keep employees aware of procedures. Provide guidance to the floor leaders to ensure safety teams are intact on all floors. Offer CPR/AED and first aid certification classes to employees. Maintain AED units’ hardware and software to ensure company’s equipment is in compliance, including updated instructions, batteries, pads, etc.
- Interact with contractors during any facility renovations, serving as a daily point of contact or providing updates from senior management about changes to the project plan. Keep project stakeholders abreast of progress and appropriately communicates the timing of when the Office Services resources are required for the project. Partner with Communication team to ensure relevant project information is shared timely with employees.
- Work with building / facilities teams to ensure facility maintenance services (e.g. cleaning, pest control, HVAC) are properly executed. Respond to after hours calls to address concerns, as necessary.
- Perform special projects as assigned. Projects consistently include office/cube re-locations, coordinating renovations of office space, evaluation of furniture and assisting in the selection of appropriate appliances for kitchens, etc.
- Work closely with HR, OTD and other teams to support social, educational, and annual events / meetings such as Benefits Fairs, company info sessions, office / company social events, etc. by coordinating the room configurations, delivering materials, assisting with AV needs, and movement of furniture, as needed.
- Perform inspections regularly to ensure that daily office services functions (including housekeeping) are being performed consistently and space is properly maintained.
- Associates Degree required; advanced degree in a related field is preferred
- Prior supervisory experience required; 5-10 years of managing a team preferred
- Office management and/or administration experience required
- Must possess strong organizational and follow-through skills and be able to work independently
- Good working knowledge of office leasing process and corporate office construction / renovation issues as well as furnishings, fixtures and equipment
- Knowledge of basic accounting and budgeting principles
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Office, specifically Word and Excel; experience with Google Apps for Business (Docs, Sheets, Drive, etc.)and its components is a plus
- Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to professionally interface with all associate/management levels and vendors
We recognize that everyone has different needs outside of work. That’s why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique options to employees, like adoption benefits and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.
401k Retirement Plan
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
Internal Training Programs
Stock Purchase Plan