Assistant Vice President, Investments
Washington, DC 20001
As the Assistant Vice President of Investments, you will help to lead the investment strategy for your assigned portfolio. You will be responsible for the creation and implementation of capital improvement plans, renovation, and repositioning of properties, as well as the selective disposition of assets in order to maximize the return on invested capital. The Assistant Vice President of Investments assesses the current and projected performance of properties and markets and evaluates the portfolio with a vision towards the ideal positioning and mix of properties.
WHO YOU ARE
- Analytical and Creative. You like thinking outside the box to come up with smart solutions to new challenges.
- Decisive. You have a sense of urgency and the ability to manage a diverse group of people and projects.
- A Strong Communicator. Your writing and speaking skills are clear and effective, helping you connect well with others.
- Organized and Confident. You are flexible, composed, and able to prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously while confidently interacting with individuals across all levels of the organization.
- Motivated. You invest extra energy to reach your goals.
- A Solution-Oriented Team Player. You are united with teammates and follow through on commitments.
- Work collaboratively across EQR departments and functions to establish and update a strategic plan that maximizes value and enhances returns for every asset within the portfolio.
- Manage the capital improvement decision making process to maximize ROI and create value.
- Develop and implement programs to reposition assets in the EQR portfolio including identifying assets suitable for renovation, leading the approval process and monitoring the execution of all approved projects.
- Identify and prioritize disposition opportunities.
- Collaborate with Acquisitions and Development teams to complete due diligence on potential investments.
- Build and maintain relationships with real estate advocacy groups, government agencies, brokers and key real estate principals within assigned markets and impact trends within the industry.
- Conduct oversight from an ownership perspective of property operations, including monitoring asset performance against general market/competitor performance, budgeted targets, and long term plans.
- Manage and support investment team members including hiring, training, coaching, ongoing career development, performance management, and succession planning.
- Review progress in operations and business plan implementation with Senior/Executive leadership and regional Vice Presidents of Property Management.
- Make recommendations to senior/executive level management on acquisition, renovation, and disposition opportunities.
- Represent the Company in a professional manner at all times, consistently maintaining a professional courteous attitude when interacting with residents, coworkers and the general public.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field (Real Estate, Finance, etc.) required; advanced degree preferred.
- At least 10 years of progressive experience in real estate and/or investment banking.
- Minimum of six years of experience in identifying, underwriting, and closing transactions in a residential or commercial real estate environment required.
- Must have excellent analytical skills, be detail oriented, have good business sense, and be able to work on numerous projects concurrently and prioritize workload independently.
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills and knowledge of work processes, spreadsheets, and EQR systems required as well as strong presentation skills.
- Frequent local travel required within the DC/MD/Northern VA portfolio.
We recognize that everyone has different needs outside of work. That’s why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique options to employees, like adoption benefits and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.
401k Retirement Plan
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
Internal Training Programs
Stock Purchase Plan