Project Safety Engineer
Lynnwood, WA 98036
Job Type: Exempt
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019.
At AvalonBay, every day you can make a difference in someone's life. We take that purpose seriously and expect you will as well. From helping someone choose one of our communities as their home to providing great service throughout a resident's stay to supporting your fellow associates, your positive, professional, and consistent personal interactions make AvalonBay a great place to work. Our purpose and our core values - A Commitment to Integrity, A Spirit of Caring, and a Focus on Continuous Improvement - set us apart. We are seeking a Construction Project Safety Engineer to be based in Lynwood, WA.
The Construction Project Safety Engineerworks with the National Safety and Health Director, Regional Safety Manager, Project Manager and Superintendents in support of AvalonBay’s Corporate Safety and Health program requirements as well as compliance with municipal, state and federal safety and health regulations. This role serves as the project-level contact for safety and health matters. While assigned primarily in support of a particular project, the Project Safety Manager is required to provide support to additional projects as directed. This function oversees, leads, directs and enforces safety and health on AvalonBay construction projects(s). The Project Safety Engineer identifies, manages and controls hazardous conditions that may lead to injury and or property damage.
Responsibilities will include but are not limited to:
- Ceases work when conditions or circumstances are related to an immediate danger to life and health condition (IDLH) on a project. Directs AvalonBay and contractor staff to immediately correct IDLH conditions.
- Recommends corrective action(s) for non-compliant conditions based on AvalonBay policies and applicable safety and health regulations.
- Investigates safety and health issues, involving injury or property damage on behalf of AvalonBay as well as reporting claims to AvalonBay Risk Management.
- Communicates with project staff and subcontractors in connection with resolving project safety and health issues.
- Provides safety and health leadership on the project. Builds working relationships with project staff and Subcontractors to develop fully-compliant project.
- Enforces safe work practices and safe working conditions in accordance with all municipal, state and federal regulations. Ensures compliance with AvalonBay safety and health program requirements and project specific Safety and Health Plan.
- Educates project staff on AvalonBay Construction Safety policies and procedures. Conducts training on AvalonBay safety and health programs as well as general construction safety topics as necessary to ensure project staff can recognize existing hazards.
- Conducts and documents project-wide safety and health inspections of assigned projects at least daily when work is in progress. This includes safety and health inspections required by municipal regulations.
- Assists the Regional Safety Manager & National Safety and Health Director in overall program improvement, implementation and expansion as directed.
- Develops (and maintains current) the Construction Project Safety and Health Plan for the assigned project(s).
- Reviews contractor safety and health submittals and provides recommendations to improve contractor’s written safety and health documents.
The ideal candidate will possess a Bachelor’s degree in Safety and Health in addition to 0 – 3 years of safety specific experience in construction. Recent college graduates are encouraged to apply!
Associate Safety Professional (ASP®), Certified Safety Professional (CSP®), Construction Health and Safety Technologist (CHST®) are desired.
- Demonstrates knowledge of safety and health principles including the ability to identify known potential exposures and recommended corrective actions.
- Demonstrates proficiency in Microsoft Office suite programs, internet inquiries, email, and regulatory websites.
- Demonstrates management, leadership and interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate clearly (both verbal and written).
- Possesses working knowledge of OSHA Construction Safety and Health regulations, national consensus standards, as well as, municipal and state regulations governing construction project safety and health.
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values -A Commitment to Integrity,A Spirit of Caring, andA Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.