Senior Systems Engineer
Arlington, VA 20598
Job Type: Exempt
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019.
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation’s leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT’s), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 80,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates. We are currently searching for a strong Senior Systems Engineer to join our Information Technology team at our Arlington, VA corporate headquarters office.
The Senior Systems Engineer helps to meet company needs for computer hardware, software, networking and servers technologies. This position develops, tests, installs, configures, and troubleshoots computer hardware, software, network devices, servers, including producing documentation, diagrams, and detailed procedures. The Senior Systems Engineer works well independently, balancing work between the corporate office, remote locations and data centers.
Responsibilities / Skills to have:
- Responsible for technical software product installation, maintenance and performance tuning.
- Provides technical leadership and mentoring for other members of the IT Operations and Support teams.
- Supports the technical architects in performing research, analysis and design of technical solutions to meet current and future user requirements.
- Supports the capacity planning analysis and reporting on computing systems for procurement planning and performance monitoring.
- Leads efforts to implement technical solutions from design specifications.
- Leads workgroups and/or functions as a technical expert.
- Resolves and makes decisions on more complex, non-routine service requests.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Technology is preferred. Equivalent certification and/or work experience will be considered.
- 8+ years of experience as a systems or network engineering role, in a complex distributed environment
- Experience withmonitoring systems,virtualization and data storage technologies
- Ability to install, configure, and troubleshoot servers (various operating systems), storage systems, and network devices
- Ability to administer and tune complex networks, LAN/WAN, enterprise grade WiFi, switching and routing knowledge at all OSI layers
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values -A Commitment to Integrity,A Spirit of Caring, andA Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.