Resident Retention Specialist
New York, NY 10001
The Resident Retention Specialist will own the entire lifecycle of the lease renewal process of an assigned portfolio. This position will utilize proven sales techniques and customer service skills to manage the renewal process, from start to finish; presenting Equity Residential communities in a compelling way, overcoming objections, building rapport with customers and providing a high level of customer service to meet lease renewal retention and revenue goals. To achieve retention and revenue goals, this position spends approximately 60% on Resident Relations and Customer Service and 40% on Lease Administration. This position will report to the Assistant Vice President and work in close partnership with the onsite community teams and respective Regional Managers.
- Organized, Flexible, and Adaptable. You have a keen eye for detail and pride yourself on delivering quality work. You multitask well, re-prioritize accordingly, and meet deadlines consistently. You keep your cool during stressful situations, remain resilient, and quickly find solutions in order to meet the changing needs and priorities of the business.
- Results and Solution-Oriented. You demonstrate an inherent sense of urgency to drive great results, while being precise in executing your work. You seize opportunities and act on them quickly, enjoy working hard, and seek additional responsibilities and opportunities that support organizational goals and stretch your personal capabilities.
- Reliable and Accountable. You deliver on commitments and agreements, demonstrate dependability, and take responsibility for mistakes and missed deadlines.
- Customer-Focused. You’re a self-described “people person” who treats customers courteously, responds to requests in a timely manner, and takes responsibility to resolve customer complaints. You elicit feedback from customers to monitor their satisfaction, create strategies to help the organization serve customers more effectively, and consider both short and long-term interests of the customer in making business decisions.
- Trustworthy and Discerning. You gain the trust of others by taking responsibility for your own actions and being honest, respecting confidentiality, and challenging others who are not acting with integrity.
- A Strong Communicator. You get to the point quickly and succinctly, and can make complicated concepts and data clear to others. You’re an exceptional listener even under stressful situations and display a keen sense of what to say even in stressful situations.
- A Trusted Team Player. You enjoy partnering with others and build constructive working relationships that foster the collaboration necessary to deliver great results. You are accountable to your teammates and follow through on commitments.
- Energetic and Positive. You are an outgoing, gregarious brand ambassador who motivates and excites others to elevate their performance.
Customer Relations (60%)
- Deliver uncompromising customer service that builds and maintains customer excitement and loyalty.
- Build and maintain market and community knowledge. Build awareness of any resident experiences in an effort to overcome, support and secure lease renewals through collaboration with the onsite teams and resident notes.
- Utilize internal tools and resources to relay information about EQR communities, particularly in areas such as pricing and specials information, pet and other property policies, amenities and applicable charges.
- Effectively explain lease provisions and the community policies. Demonstrate a thorough understanding of customer service expectations through the life cycle of the resident.
- Conduct warm calls to introduce renewal process to all residents as per our customer relationship management assignments, provides continuous follow up calls and written communication until each resident renews or vacates, owning the entire lifecycle of the renewal process.
- Demonstrate strong knowledge of rent stabilization and application of surcharges as per the 421-a guidelines for all rent stabilized communities.
- Effectively explain rent stabilized renewal lease provisions and applicable 421-a surcharges to renewing residents.
- Negotiate renewals using internal information to support business goals based on changing business factors (inclusive of surcharge negotiations) and submits requests to the Regional Manager for each negotiation offer.
- Communicate effectively with cross functional teams including onsite team, CBG and Legal business partners, to ensure resident needs are met and appropriate lease documents and amendments are executed. Conduct follow up as needed to ensure very satisfied customers.
- Maintain and provide the requested daily/weekly/monthly lease renewal projection and status summaries to site, regional and corporate business partners.
Lease Administration (40%)
- Demonstrate fluency with use of MRI and processes for administration of rent stabilized renewals.
- Complete follow up notes, informational emails, and documents conversations with residents in MRI daily. Communicate with on-site property staff via email, messaging, and phone calls to obtain and receive pertinent resident information.
- Prepare all renewal offers and mail out in accordance with mailing procedure as required by rent stabilized guidelines, ensuring that an original copy of renewal offer is forwarded to the Community Manager for onsite record keeping.
- Verify lease documents, legal rent tables and scheduled surcharges for accuracy and reports any errors to our CBG partners for adherence and correction.
- Utilize workbook tools for follow up, lease and charge audits and correspondence with CBG partners to ensure timely and accurate state of lease documents.
- Provide revised lease copies or amendments to renewing residents if applicable, as well as Community Manager for onsite record keeping.
- Send copies of executed renewals to renewing residents, as well as Community Manager for onsite record keeping.
- Understand and comply with state landlord-tenant Fair Housing laws and standards.
- Collaborate with IT support as needed.
- A high school diploma or equivalent is required; college coursework/degree preferred.
- Customer service experience is required with a demonstrated proficiency in sales.
- Computer skills required including proficiency in keyboarding and navigating in a Windows environment. Microsoft Word and Excel skills preferred.
- Must possess the ability to effectively problem solve both independently and collaboratively with other team members.
- Ability to effectively communicate and promote the benefits of Equity Residential and to generate excitement during sales interactions with customers
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, follow through, attention to detail, and accurate documentation, as well as strong customer service and sales skills and thorough portfolio knowledge.
- Availability and willingness to work a flexible schedule, which may be outside of standard business hours (Sunday – Saturday, 8 a.m. – 7 p.m).
We recognize that everyone has different needs outside of work. That’s why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique options to employees, like adoption benefits and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.
401k Retirement Plan
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
Internal Training Programs
Stock Purchase Plan