Security Systems Engineer
Chicago, IL 60601
We are currently seeking a Security Systems Engineer to join our Security Operations team at our corporate headquarters in Chicago, IL. As a Security Systems Engineer at EQR, you will be helping to protect Equity from the latest information security threats by assisting with developing, enhancing, and executing documented security procedures and focusing on real-time systems security alerts to ensure the optimal operation of each system. You may also have the opportunity to perform firewall, IPS/IDS administration, and maintenance. Additionally, you’ll assist with the MS SCCM platform as it relates to vulnerabilities remediation, as well as the identity management and single sign-on solutions. And by relying on your knowledge of and previous experience with a wide range of security technologies (including but not limited to: Splunk, IDS/IPS, malware analysis, data loss prevention, and vulnerability scanners), you’ll be involved in hands-on support across multiple disparate technologies as part of the standard Security Operations escalation procedures.
- Knowledgeable. You have a broad-based familiarity with Security Operations with 2+ years of experience. More specifically, your background includes firewall policy support in Checkpoint Provider-1. Experience with Sourcefire IPS/IDS systems; and experience with DMZ architectures. A solid network background including, routing protocols, VPN concepts, and VLAN configuration is also important.
- A Problem Solver. You are a creative thinker, who focuses on the problem as stated and gathers information and knowledge to identify root cause and achieve an appropriate solution. Your skillfulness in this area helps you determine how to quickly assess security threats and incidents.
- A Strong Communicator. Your writing and speaking skills are clear, articulate, and effective, demonstrating your ability to interact with and be understood by all levels and various teams across the organization. In addition, you’re skilled in communicating in a non-technical manner with everyone from end users to senior management and also in a technical manner to other IT professionals.
- Organized, Efficient, and Accountable. You have a keen eye for detail and pride yourself on delivering quality work. You multitask well, re-prioritize accordingly, and meet deadlines consistently. Above all, you are flexible and able to juggle the needs of changing priorities of the business, even if that means an occasional after-hours project.
- Passionate. Motivated. Eager to Learn. You are resourceful, ask smart questions, challenge the status quo, and regularly seek to understand. You’re willing to learn a range of business and/or technical specialties, based on organizational needs. And when a special project arises, you volunteer!
- Trustworthy and Discerning. The ability to work with confidential information, while using discretion, is crucial to this position.
- Support, upgrade, and maintain systems such as Checkpoint firewalls, SourceFire IPS/IDS, and Symantec products, as well as a variety of Bluecoat solutions.
- Interpret firewall logs and events, as well as rules logic.
- Perform research and data analysis of systems events and proactively identify and communicate issues, troubleshooting fault conditions on security systems.
- Resolve service impacting events through service restoration and root cause analysis.
- Create and deploy software packages using diverse software packaging techniques. Extensively test software patches and upgrades before deployment.
- Manage client PCs operating systems and servers operating systems.
- Support Security Operations team and greater Information Technology team as necessary on high priority/high visibility problems.
- Ensure platform accessibility and best practices are maintained.
- Prepare ad-hoc analysis and reports as needed.
- Provide weekend and after-hours support, as required by the position; at times, this position does require 24 x 7 availability to support operations, as necessary.
- Perform other duties and participate in special IT projects, as requested, to continually improve/upgrade the security infrastructure.
- Ability and willingness to learn quickly. Self-motivated to succeed, with the capacity to assume increasing responsibility.
- Team player that demonstrates flexibility and the ability to integrate and work well with others.
- Strong communication skills; able to speak and write in a clear and articulate manner to convey network concepts and issues to end users and senior management on a non-technical level, while dealing with other IT professionals on a technical level.
- Proven project management and organizational skills, managing multiple concurrent tasks and/or projects. Extremely detail oriented with an exceptional ability to plan work effectively and multi-task as appropriate.
- Consistently delivers conscientious, thorough, and accurate analysis, demonstrating strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Adaptable to changing priorities in a fast-paced environment, without sacrificing quality of work product.
- Process-orientated with the ability to clarify objectives, evaluate options, consider implications, assess risks, and make key decisions.
- Minimum 2+ years of experience supporting firewall policies in Checkpoint Provider-1 and Checkpoint R75 or higher on Linux or Unix based platforms.
- Bachelor's degree, with an emphasis in computer science or information systems preferred or equivalent experience. Platform certifications, CCSP, CCSE, CCNA are a plus.
- Minimum 3+ years of experience in IP addressing and subnetting, routing protocols, VPN concepts, VLAN configuration and concepts, L2/L3 switching technologies, CAT5/5e/6 cabling, Fiber connectivity, Sniffer products, and QOS.
- Experience with Sourcefire IPS/IDS systems and Symantec DLP Solution.
- Demonstrated technical problem determination ability; exceptional system implementation, installation, and disaster recovery planning experience; and ongoing hands-on administration knowledge.
- Good understanding and working knowledge of routing protocols EIGRP, BGP and OSPF. Must have experience with enterprise class Cisco routers, switches, and web load balancers.
- Must possess a good understanding of DMZ architectures.
- Strong TCP/IP layer 2 to layer 7 troubleshooting experience.
- Exposure to major system applications and databases; Unix and Windows experience a plus!
- Experience maintaining highly available and highly secure networks.
- Solid understanding of VMware Infrastructures.
We recognize that everyone has different needs outside of work. That’s why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique options to employees, like adoption benefits and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.
401k Retirement Plan
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
Internal Training Programs
Stock Purchase Plan