Product Development Leader
Lakewood, CO 80123
Job Type: Exempt
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019.
AvalonBay Communities, Inc.is an equity REIT in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing multifamily communities primarily in New England, the New York/New Jersey metro area, the Mid-Atlantic, the Pacific Northwest, Florida, Denver and Northern and Southern California. We currently own and operate approximately 85,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3000 associates. We are currently searching for an experienced Product Development Leader to join our IT team in Denver, CO.
In this role, you will flex between playing the Product Manager “exploration” role and the Product Owner “execution” role.
You will leverage your design thinking skills to find creative and targeted solutions to our end users’ needs and enable creation of a better way to live for our residents.
- Partner with business leaders and users to identify opportunities for new digital capabilities and products that transform our resident’s experience as well as the experience of our associates
- Mentor and collaborate with cross functional teams through the full lifecycle of product development (research, prototype, test, and build)
- Work in a hands-on, collaborative environment to build breakthrough experiences and products
- Establish or participate in Design Thinking, Agile, and LEAN rituals which establish rhythm for the team, promote ongoing communication, and iterative refinement of roadmaps
- Regularly and systematically use data to uncover opportunities, track product performance, and drive decision making
- Define learning agenda and key performance indicators (KPIs) to measure success/failure
- Partner with other product owners in performing prioritization of work based on product vision and use cases presented from across the enterprise. Continually groom the product backlog
- Manage and groom the backlog of stories for assigned agile delivery teams. Prioritize, negotiate and remove blockers to orchestrate successful launch or optimization cycle
- Test and iterate in small-scale pilots to validate concepts, refine them to achieve product-market fit, develop Minimally Viable Products (MVPs) and then scale to drive vertical and horizontal economics
- Serve as subject matter expert, contributing practitioner, thought leader
- Mentor one or more junior product owners, guiding them through product delivery and team dynamics
- A Bachelor's Degree is required.
- A bias toward action and a demonstrated record of inventing and launching successful products
- Enthusiastic, knowledgeable, and passionate around agile product management with the goal of delivering breakthrough consumer experiences
- Understanding of Scrum and/or Scaled Agile Framework process and best practices
- Creative problem solver who lives at the intersection of Human, Business, and Technology dimensions - deep fluency and experience in at least two of these dimensions, with solid understanding of the third
- Proven experience defining and executing a transformational product strategy while successfully tackling ambiguity independently
- Strong structured communication & storytelling skills with all audiences
- Knowledge and passion for emerging technologies and how they are used to empower developers and businesses to deliver great products.
- Significant experience applying analytical rigor to support technology decisions
- A high level of intellectual curiosity and comfort with ambiguity
- Collaborative, team player attitude with the ability to navigate and influence the organization
- Strong mentorship skills
- Design thinking proficiency
- Familiarity with open APIs and/or AWS/Azure Cloud technologies
- 5 or more years of experience working with cross-functional teams to deliver consumer or commercial experiences and core product platforms that power those experiences
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the beating heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values -A Commitment to Integrity,A Spirit of Caring, andA Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to an inclusive and diverse work environment free of discrimination and harassment.? We believe that in order to achieve our purpose of creating a better way to live, we must recruit, develop and retain associates with a wide range of backgrounds, experiences and perspectives and create an environment that encourages all voices to be heard, understood and appreciated. With this we know we can do great things.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.