Washington, DC 20001
Under the direction of a Senior Recruiter, the Recruiter is responsible for the overall sourcing, recruitment, and placement of candidates to meet all current and future hiring needs of the assigned portfolio. Our Recruiters are energetic, professional, and dynamic brand ambassadors with a passion for attracting top talent to our organization by delivering a warm and welcoming candidate experience. Both individually and as a team, our Recruiters develop and utilize a variety of recruiting strategies to fill job openings in a timely manner and ensure strategic, creative, cost-effective candidate sourcing. Primary day-to-day responsibilities include — but are not limited to — building and maintaining a candidate pipeline through sourcing and outreach; screening, interviewing, and hiring candidates; developing and maintaining a college/university/trade school recruiting strategy; analyzing compensation trends and making salary recommendations for all new hires and promotions; coaching and training hiring managers on interviewing and hiring decisions; and analyzing results of recruiting strategies and employee retention.
As a Recruiter, your days will be full, fast-paced, and challenging. You will meet with candidates, consult with business partners, network within the industry, and strategize ongoing improvements and new ideas to help us meet our operational goals. You will live our brand by questioning authority, taking educated risks, and thinking like an owner. You will leverage your strengths in relationship building on a daily basis, partnering with colleagues across all levels and departments of the organization (Property Management, Organization and Talent Development, Facilities, Investments, etc.) with the shared goal of maximizing the potential of employee and asset performance in your region.
- A Strong Communicator. Your writing and speaking skills are clear and effective, helping you connect well with others.
- A People Person. Building professional and high quality relationships comes naturally to you, and in turn helps you to position Equity as an employer of choice and attract the right talent to meet our operational goals.
- Strategic. You harness your understanding of Equity’s competitive position, goals and initiatives to develop both short and long-term strategy.
- Intellectually Curious. You never stop at “I don’t know;” you crave ongoing education and growth, and you immerse yourself in your craft, your industry and your market until you are established as a subject matter expert.
- Decisive and Trustworthy. Your strong business acumen and good judgment allow you to seize opportunities and make sound business decisions.
- Analytical and Creative. You like thinking outside the box to come up with smart solutions to new challenges, and you embrace the opportunity to live in the gray.
- A Team Player. You are united with teammates in delivering the best experience to candidates, employees, internal customers and business partners.
- Motivated. You invest extra energy to reach your goals.
- Action-Oriented. You always take initiative, never sitting idle. You follow through on commitments, letting employees and business partners know that they matter.
- Organized. You are flexible and able to juggle a busy calendar, changing priorities, and personal interactions with teammates and employees smoothly.
- Caring. You put yourself in others’ shoes and strive for positive outcomes.
- Energetic and Positive. You are an outgoing, gregarious brand ambassador who motivates and excites others to elevate their performance.
Sourcing and Recruiting Strategy
- Develop and implement recruiting and selection strategies for assigned region/portfolio through collaboration with VP of Property Management, Director of Talent Acquisition, and other Recruiters/Senior Recruiters.
- Act as a strategic business partner to Vice Presidents, Regional Managers, corporate team members, and onsite associates, collaborating to address regional and/or community challenges with staffing and retention.
- Research, identify, and establish business relationships with diverse talent sources (colleges/universities, trade schools, military veteran networks, professional associations, etc.) in local market(s).
- Build, manage, and maintain a candidate pipeline, including the development and implementation of a passive candidate recruiting strategy.
- In conjunction with Recruiting Coordinator, screen resumes and conduct initial phone screens with candidates. Schedule and conduct in-person and/or video interviews for all field and corporate positions in assigned region.
- Make hiring decisions, including selection of top candidate, proposal of salary, and extension of offer/salary negotiation for non-managerial field positions.
- Assess and recommend candidates for further interviews with Hiring Manager(s) for managerial and corporate positions and consult with Hiring Managers on selection process and compensation.
- Manage internal transfer and promotion process for assigned geographic area, participating in the process as an interviewer and decision maker as needed.
- Source candidates for internship and apprenticeship programs; manage the placement of interns and apprentices and monitor progress and results.
- Coordinate and lead job fairs and recruiting events at EQR communities, universities, trade schools, military events, local city-sponsored events, etc., with an emphasis on increasing Equity’s diversity efforts.
- Act as a brand ambassador. Pursue opportunities to become embedded in local market by attending networking events, leading information sessions and/or resume workshops, serving on local advisory boards and industry panel presentations, etc.
- Prepare recruiting reports and identify recruiting trends, emerging sources, etc. Analyze results of recruiting strategies and retention and report trends to internal business partners.
- Provide effective and frequent communication to all levels of management.
- Guide managers in the hiring and selection process and act as an ongoing resource and consultant to internal customers/hiring managers.
- Hire, train, and manage performance of Recruiting Coordinator(s).
- Demonstrate behaviors that position Equity as an Employer of Choice and the HR team as brand ambassadors throughout the recruitment, hiring, and onboarding experiences.
- Represent the Company in a professional manner at all times. Consistently maintain a professional image and demeanor when dealing with applicants, co-workers and the general public.
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred.
- 4+ years recruitment/hiring experience required; in-house recruitment experience preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and a professional image essential.
- Strong customer service, problem-solving, analytical, and decision-making skills required.
- Must possess exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills, as well as the ability to prioritize, manage multiple tasks simultaneously, and maintain a high degree of confidentiality.
- Proficiency with HRIS/ATS (Taleo, PeopleSoft, Oracle, Fusion, etc.), Google applications (Gmail, Calendar, Drive, Sheets, Slides), and MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Tech-savvy and forward-thinking with a fluency in social media (LinkedIn, Glassdoor, Twitter, Facebook, etc.).
- Demonstrated ability to interact with and influence a diverse customer base, strong problem solving and organizational skills.
- Experience in the property management field is not required, but recruiting experience in a similar industry (hospitality, retail, restaurant, sales) is ideal.
- Flexibility for local and long-distance travel as needed.
We recognize everyone has different needs outside of work. That’s why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique options to employees, like adoption benefits and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.
401k Retirement Plan
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
Internal Training Programs
Stock Purchase Plan