Emeryville, CA 94608
The Maintenance Manager under the direction of the Property Manager is responsible for safely maintaining the physical condition and appearance of the community. Main duties include diagnosing problems and making repairs, ensuring all up-keep, inventory and repairs of grounds, common areas, amenities, apartments and buildings of the community are completed in an efficient and cost-effective manner. Will schedule and directly supervise all in-house and contracted related maintenance
1. Education: High school diploma or equivalent. The position requires the ability to read and write English correctly and fluently. In addition, the position requires the ability to perform basic to intermediate mathematical functions.
2. Experience: A minimum of one to two years of previous experience in property management maintenance, other building maintenance or related trade. Maintenance of older properties may also require previous experience in renovation.
Maintenance Supervisor is also expected to be knowledgeable and skilled in the safe use of hand tools and small power tools. Potential candidates must have strong management skills, with experience in interviewing, hiring, scheduling, and developing a staff of 3 or more. HVAC certifications are preferred. Supervisor will ensure all maintenance activities follow OSHA and company safety policies at all times.
3. Skills: Must be able to diagnose problems with and repair the following:
- Major appliance.
- HVAC systems.
- Basic intermediate plumbing.
- Basic intermediate electrical (when no license required).
- General carpentry.
- Pool care (if required by property).
- Pest control (if required by property).
- Wallpaper/painting (all roofing work will be completed by licensed, insured contractors).
- In addition, the position requires the following skills:
- Ability to deal with people.
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong customer service orientation.
- Ability to read and write English correctly and fluently.
- Ability to drive a car.
4. Licenses: The following licenses are required:
- EPA certification for Freon recycling (properties with AC systems).
- A valid drivers license and current automobile insurance.
- Pest control (if done in"“house).
- Other licenses and certification required by law.
5. Training: Certification, licenses as State or Municipalities require.
6. Attendance: Position requires the ability to work any of the seven days of the week and/or 52 weeks of the year. Due to the property staffing limitations, it is extremely critical that individual be able to work their scheduled days plus any other hours necessary to complete the job. Position requires the ability to serve on"“call as scheduled or as necessary.
a. Position requires individuals to furnish own vehicle or to operate a vehicle provided by the property. Person must be able to drive the vehicle without jeopardizing their safety, fellow employees, and residents.
b. Position requires individuals to be able to use general maintenance equipment including, but not limited to: hand tools, ladders, landscaping equipment, and required safety equipment. All equipment must be used without jeopardizing the safety of themselves, fellow employees and residents. Appropriate safety equipment and apparel must be worn.
c. Position requires individuals to wear appropriate maintenance apparel. If uniforms are provided, the individuals have to wear and maintain them according to the guidelines set forth by the property.
1. Ensure that physical condition of the property is maintained to company operating and safety standards. Ensure that service request and repairs are made correctly and in a timely manner. Maintenance Manager will spend 90 to 95 percent of their time performing hands-on repair/maintenance work. The remaining time will be spent supervising the work of the other employees and performing general maintenance functions as assigned by the Maintenance Manager.
2. Position requires the ability to transport or move up to 60 pounds for various distances; the mobility and flexibility to use ladders and to access and work in small spaces or at heights in excess of eight to nine feet. Ability to personally perform general maintenance repair task without endangering themselves, residents or fellow employees.
3. Maintenance Manager will organize and prioritize service requests and general maintenance tasks.
4. Maintenance Manager oversees turn"“key operations and ensuring that vacant units are made rent ready in a timely manner.
5. Maintenance Manager will schedule and supervise other maintenance staff and the work performed by outside contractors.
6. Maintenance Manager will maintain a proper inventory of supplies and tools sufficient for providing service and maintaining the property. Purchase supplies as required using standard purchase order system and proper bidding procedures.
7. Maintenance Manager will prepare staffing schedules to ensure work is completed in a timely manner while remaining within budgetary guidelines.
8. Maintenance Manager will maintain a preventative maintenance program that minimizes emergency repairs and service requests.
9. Adhere to the company's safety program, policies and procedures. Maintain hazard communication program. Teach and promote safe work practices among on site staff.
10. Participate in company training classes as required.
Essential Job Function:
1. May transport or move up to 60 pounds for various distances.
2. The mobility and flexibility to use ladders and to access and work in small spaces or at heights in excess of eight to nine feet.
3. Required to stand and/or be in continuous motion for extended periods while performing job functions and physical endurance.
4. Ability to personally perform general maintenance repair tasks.
5. Must be capable of working under pressure, as well as efficiently organizing and planning work.
Non Essential Functions:
1. All other duties assigned by the supervisor.