Arlington, VA 20598
Job Type: Exempt
We are looking for a bright and passionate Scrum Master to be a founding member of AvalonBay’s new Digital Squad. Do you have a passion for creating compelling and meaningful digital experiences? Are you a champion for the best customer experience? Are you a creative problem-solver and communicator? Do you want to help lead the transformation of a company and an industry? If you’re a resounding yes, we want to talk to you.
ABOUT AVALONBAY DIGITAL SQUAD
At AvalonBay, we’ve embarked on a digital initiative to enhance the way we serve our customers. We’re transforming the way customers experience AvalonBay with an approach rooted in design thinking and enabled by agile methodology. The cross-functional team, based out of our corporate headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, will be empowered to act and iterate to get value to customers as frequently as possible. We will leverage exciting technologies, such as AI and a modern cloud-based technology, transforming an enterprise environment from within. Ultimately, we’re championing our organization’s core values -a Commitment to Integrity, a Spirit of Caring and a Focus on Continuous Improvement. And we’re looking for leaders to join our team!
As a Scrum Master, your core function is to coach and enable your team to work efficiently and effectively together under the agile methodology. You employ servant leadership to coach and support the team in Agile product development and delivery methods, including leading Scrum ceremonies, removing team-level impediments, shielding the team from external distractions, and facilitating alignment between the Product Owner, engineers, designers and stakeholders. Additionally, you focus on coaching team members on continuous process improvements and goals, ensuring the achievement of excellent results.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Lead agile ceremonies, including daily Scrum, Sprint review, planning meetings, retrospectives, team and project kick-offs
- Support Product Owner on release planning and customer engagement, and take ownership on delivering a great product
- Remove impediments (e.g., cultural barriers, logistic challenges)
- Foster close cooperation across all team members, encouraging cross-training and mutual support
- Facilitate communication and collaboration inside and outside the team
- Shield the team from external interference and ensuring the team is fully functional and productive
- Foster an environment of successful delivery and continuous improvement
- Deliver ongoing training for team, product owners, developers and testers
- Familiarity with design thinking and customer centric approaches is a plus
- 5+ years agile experience, including 2+ years as an agile practitioner (Scrum Master or Product Owner)
- Enthusiastically devoted to driving the adoption and optimization of agile processes, principles and practices
- Demonstrate ability to promote innovative thinking and self-improvement within the team
- Confident and skilled at guiding the team through organizational road-blocks to allow Sprints to be completed on time
- Have strong communication skills with the ability to communicate complex messages and teach new concepts
- Can resolve conflicts within the team before they become an issue – strong mediator
- Active coach and mentor with goals to grow and maximize the team’s potential
- Assertive, with the confidence to be voice of authority – not afraid to do what is best for the team
- Bring a high-energy and passionate outlook to the job and can influence those around her/him
- Able to build a sense of trust and rapport that creates a comfortable & effective workplace
- Computer sciences or related degree or 5+ years of experience in agile development and coaching
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values -a Commitment to Integrity, a Spirit of Caring, and a Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019 and is rated as a top workplace in DC by Indeed for 2018.
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation’s leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT’s), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 80,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
AvalonBay is an Equal Opportunity Employer.