Software Engineering Technical Lead
Arlington, VA 20598
Job Type: Exempt
We are looking for a bright and passionate Software Engineering Technical Lead to be a founding member of AvalonBay’s new Digital Squad. Do you have a passion for creating compelling and meaningful digital experiences? Are you a champion for the best customer experience? Are you a creative problem-solver and communicator? Do you want to help lead the transformation of a company and an industry? If you’re a resounding yes, we want to talk to you.
ABOUT AVALONBAY DIGITAL SQUAD
At AvalonBay, we’ve embarked on a digital initiative to enhance the way we serve our customers. We’re transforming the way customers experience AvalonBay with an approach rooted in design thinking and enabled by agile methodology. The cross-functional team, based out of our corporate headquarters in Arlington, Virginia, will be empowered to act and iterate to get value to customers as frequently as possible. We will leverage exciting technologies, such as AI and a modern cloud-based technology, transforming an enterprise environment from within. Ultimately, we’re championing our organization’s core values -a Commitment to Integrity, a Spirit of Caring and a Focus on Continuous Improvement. And we’re looking for leaders to join our team.
As a Software Engineering Technical Lead, you take care of the architectural vision for the team. You value simplicity and you are unafraid to challenge technical constraints and procedures to achieve the right solution. You work closely with all team members to create a modular, scalable solution that addresses/incorporates future architectural changes and designs, in partnership with the Product Owner to align the roadmap with a future vision of the tech stack. You will drive the team’s engineering practices in test driven development, continuous integration, and automated deployment by staying close to the code and actively coaching the team.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
- Design an evolutionary technological architecture of the product with the help of the team, in a flexible manner and shape it towards emerging business needs
- Guide project teams on technology strategy related to coding practices, CI/CD, and lead it towards a fully automated pipeline
- Mentor and coach the technical team, specifically with code reviews
- Be hands on and engage in coding to help the team to develop the solution, surface problems at hand, identify and remove technical impediments
- Provide the team a roadmap for implementing software engineering practices for higher code quality
- Be a thought partner to the Product Owner, bringing creative solutions to build the best product, translating technology implications into business terms, and enable business impact and user focused prioritization
- A seasoned developer or technical lead with curiosity and insight into newest technologies and trends and an opinion on how to use them
- Seen as an expert within the technical components of the domains/products/journeys
- You can talk confidently about the ABC of technology (from Ajax to Bootstrap to Cobol)
- Understands relationship with Product Owner, Scrum Master, and rest of technical team
- Strong communication skills with ability to align the organization on complex technical decisions
- Active coach and mentor whose goals are to grow and maximize the team’s potential
- Computer sciences or related degree or 7+ years of experience in software dev
How AvalonBay Supports You
We know that our teams are the heart of our success and we’re committed to showing our appreciation.
- Comprehensive benefits – health, dental & vision, 401(k) with company match, paid vacation and holidays, tuition reimbursement, an employee stock purchase plan and more!
- Growth based on achievement and promotion from within.
- Associate recognition (a company-wide recognition program that celebrates associate efforts and successes in contributing to the overall success of the organization – including destination awards, ‘AvalonBay’s Very Best’ recognition program and others!).
- A 20% discount on our incredible apartment homes.
- A culture built on purpose and our core values -a Commitment to Integrity, a Spirit of Caring, and a Focus on Continuous Improvement.
AvalonBay is proud to be named one of Glassdoor's Best Places to Work in 2019 and is rated as a top workplace in DC by Indeed for 2018.
AvalonBay Communities, Inc. is one of the nation’s leading Real Estate Investment Trusts (REIT’s), in the business of developing, redeveloping, acquiring and managing quality apartment communities in high barrier-to-entry markets of the United States. These markets are located in the Northeast, Mid-Atlantic, Pacific Northwest and Northern and Southern California regions of the country. We currently own and operate approximately 80,000 apartment homes in the US and employ approximately 3,000 associates.
AvalonBay will consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with requirements under the law.
AvalonBay is an Equal Opportunity Employer.