Senior Manager, Strategic Sourcing
Chicago, IL 60601
We are currently seeking a curious, team-oriented, analytical negotiator to join our Property Operations team as a Senior Manager under the direction of the Vice President, Property Operations. As a Senior Manager of Strategic Sourcing, you will manage $100MM in labor and product programs across 30+ categories. You will be expected to regularly collaborate with property management leaders, corporate teams, and external partners to drive expense control while delivering an exceptional customer experience at our apartment communities.
As a Senior Manager, you will be a part of a hardworking and fun team who collectively manage over $200MM in company expenses and $80MM in revenue. Our team supports programs across all business segments from operations to new construction to renovation and capital expenditures. As this position grows, there may be opportunity to manage some of the other 55 expense and income categories that we consult on for the business.
- Negotiation is an art you appreciate and love. Influencing people is something you enjoy; you like a good poker game and enjoy the process of finding a winning solution to a problem.
- Numbers don’t scare you; they thrill you. You like crunching large sets of data and telling a story with numbers. You believe that numbers never lie and are always on a quest to understand the facts. You are good at summarizing complex analysis in slides to communicate the story.
- A Strategist. You like to balance the big picture with the details to come up with the best strategy. You’re constantly thinking about how we can do it better and you love the art of figuring things out. You also like to plan before acting to ensure you are making the right move.
- A Master Multitasker. You enjoy managing a lot of things at once and you don’t mind jumping from one topic to the next. You are comfortable living in the gray and embrace change. You don’t get stressed easily when there is more to do than time allows — you like the challenge!
- You love connecting with people. Networking is something you really enjoy. You ask great questions and get curious about what makes people and businesses tick.
- Presenting in front of a room is exciting. You like taking the lead in business meetings and you don’t mind being put on the spot and asked to speak your mind. Communicating is something you enjoy and are good at whether doing this in person, on the phone or in writing.
- Tech Savvy. Tools like email and internet access start as basic necessities in your daily operation. You love all things Google. You are also a strong Microsoft Excel user and know how to leverage its extensive capabilities. To help effectively convey your analysis, findings, and results, you take pride in creating effective and aesthetically pleasing charts and graphs.
- A Team Player. You like people and love being part of and leading a team. You like building relationships and appreciate the value that everyone brings to the table.
- Run our procurement platform and be the company expert in our 30+ expense categories including appliances, maintenance repair and operating equipment, flooring, janitorial labor, landscaping labor, patrol and concierge services, and many other product and labor categories used by our onsite property management teams.
- Analyze expense data and other key metrics across our business, and present summaries to senior leaders highlighting risks and opportunities.
- Develop strategic sourcing plans for new expense areas and execute plans in collaboration with cross functional teams to drive value.
- Negotiate multi million dollar contracts using qualitative and quantitative data to create a strategy, quantify the results, and sell the deal to leaders. Contracts may be national, regional or local in nature. After deals are executed you will ensure programs meet contract requirements by tracking key metrics and customer experience.
- Manage our strategic vendor partners and build new partnerships to deliver on programs designed to meet customer needs. Stay abreast of industry and product trends that will impact our business.
- Regularly collaborate with property leaders to resolve program and vendor issues.
- Provide exceptional customer service to internal business partners, such as regional leaders and property teams, while also effectively addressing property level issues such as contract concerns, budget variances, etc.
- Create annual budgets for our assigned categories and track variances to budget each month; as needed, develop action plans to address variances and get the budgets back on track.
REQUIREMENTS & PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree is required, with an emphasis in business or economics preferred
- 6+ years of previous professional experience with a strong preference for previous strategic sourcing or procurement experience
- Previous experience leading and managing a team is required
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, with an ability to speak and write in a clear and articulate manner
- Position is multifaceted, requiring a high degree of flexibility, intuitiveness, conceptual thought processes, and exemplary organizational skills in order to support numerous existing projects and new business initiatives.
- Must have strong skills in Microsoft Excel, plus familiarity with other Microsoft Office programs and Google applications
We recognize everyone has different needs outside of work. That’s why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique options to employees, like pet insurance and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.
401k Retirement Plan
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
Internal Training Programs
Stock Purchase Plan