Senior Database Administrator
Chicago, IL 60601
As a Senior Database Administrator at Equity Residential, you will report into the IT Application Operations team and will be directly responsible for the operations, maintenance, and support of data-driven business applications, as well as all associated customers and business partners. You will work with the Data Architect, Business Analysts, and Project Managers to sustain production business processes and support critical business strategies. Each day will be unique, requiring an ability to think strategically, be creative, take initiative, and employ a diverse set of skills.
WHO YOU ARE
- Knowledgeable. You are highly experienced in managing vital functions of all development, test and production databases, including but not limited to database backup and disaster recovery restore operations, SQL query performance analysis and tuning, SQL server installation, database storage provisioning and capacity planning, SQL server upgrades, database server security administration, change management and audit controls.
- Results-Focused. You demonstrate an inherent sense of urgency to drive great results, while being precise in executing your work. You are facile with creating and communicating a clear project plan, tracking progress, and keeping your business partners in the loop along the way. You're also interested in the "why" so that you can identify opportunities that represent unconventional solutions to the problems you are trying to solve.
- Solution-Oriented. You like thinking outside the box to come up with innovative points of view on new data warehouse and data architecture challenges, relying on your previous experience to help guide you along the way.
- A Strong Communicator. Your writing and speaking skills are concise, articulate, and effective, providing an ability to interact with all levels/various teams across the organization, be understood, and develop trust and rapport within the organization.
- A Trusted Team Player. You enjoy partnering with others and build constructive working relationships that foster the collaboration necessary to deliver great results. You are accountable to your teammates and follow through on commitments.
- Organized and Confident. You are flexible, composed, and able to prioritize multiple tasks and deadlines simultaneously, while confidently interacting with a variety of individuals, across all levels of the organization. You handle pressure well and do so with confidence.
- Manage vital functions of all development, test, and production databases, including but not limited to database backup and disaster recovery restore operations, SQL query performance analysis and tuning, SQL server installation, database storage provisioning and capacity planning, SQL server upgrades, database server security administration, change management and audit controls.
- Create procedures and implement policies for configuring and deploying SSIS packages to each development, test, and production SQL Server environment using configuration files, data tables, and variables.
- Routinely monitor production database application processes, automated jobs, “extract, transformation, and load” (ETL) synchronization jobs and tasks on a daily, weekly and monthly basis.
- Demonstrate a proven ability to understand query plans and statistics as to identify performance bottlenecks is a must, with having a process-based ability to troubleshoot and resolve issues promptly. Assume primary responsibility during problem resolution.
- Develop and maintain database monitoring processes using native tools and 3rd party software in order to ensure application performance levels are kept, and to diagnose errors that occur within database servers.
- Collaborate and work with an experienced in-house business intelligence and analytics team that consists of business analysts, developers, IT administrators, data architects, data scientists, and project managers.
- Coordinate database refreshes with development teams and IT administrators. Responsible for providing technical support and SQL expertise to IT developers.
- Provide accurate status updates on project tasks and prioritized assignments.
PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE & REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Systems is preferred, and/or appropriate combination of education and experience is required.
- SQL server database administration skills from a web based application development environment is necessary, with a preference for maintaining and optimizing databases that are 100 gigabytes in size and larger.
- 7+ years of database administration experience with at least 5 years as lead on all aspects of database administration responsibility of relational database management systems (RDBMS) in a production environment containing at least 30 SQL servers.
- 6+ years of SQL development experience with creating tables, indexes, data views, complex stored procedures and triggers.
- 4+ years of experience with SQL Server Integration Services (SSIS) functionality of Microsoft SQL server with regards to SQL server database integrations with other databases and software.
- 3+ years SQL Server support experience and a strong willingness to perform in a support capacity for IT developers and operations team members.
- 3+ years of experience working with the software development life cycle (SDLC), .NET and Java programming are required.
- 2+ years of experience with developing reports using SQL Reporting services (SSRS).
- Position requires experience managing multiple projects and requests at the same time. Detail oriented, self-directed, and able to provide accurate status updates on project tasks and prioritize assignments. Must possess strong writing and documentation skills.
- Ability to work well in a team environment. Listens well and provides assertive ideas in collaborative meetings. Assist and mentor junior DBAs, developers, and other IT administrators in SQL concepts and best practices.
- Familiarity and practical experience in working with modern public cloud environments such as Azure, Google Cloud Platform (GCP), and/or AWS.
- Participate in rotation for weekend and after-hours support of production database environments is required.
- Thorough understanding of middleware software like WebLogic is desired.
- Experience in automation tools like jenkins.io or PowerShell.
- Knowledge of administering Hyperion Essbase is preferred.
We recognize everyone has different needs outside of work. That’s why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique benefits options to employees, like pet insurance and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.
401k Retirement Plan
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
Internal Training Programs
Stock Purchase Plan