Affordable Program Manager
San Francisco, CA 94102
Working for Equity Residential means being part of a community and striving to provide the best in apartment living, speaking boldly about new ideas for innovation, and inspiring creativity in the ways we work together. That’s what our Be.Think.Play.Live. culture is all about.
As an Affordable Program Manager, you will be responsible for assisting Equity Residential’s property management and investment teams in ensuring compliance with affordability-related restrictions and requirements that are applicable to multifamily residential communities in your assigned geographic region(s). You will be called upon to build and maintain relationships with a variety of regulatory agencies, acting as the main point of contact and liaison for your internal business groups. Expect to be challenged with a variety of projects, from maintaining the company’s affordable program database and responding to program inquiries, to training property management teams and developing policies and procedures that ensure compliance with affordable program restrictions. Each day will be unique, requiring an ability to prioritize, multitask, think strategically, take initiative, and employ a diverse set of skills. As an Affordable Program Manager for Equity Residential, you will regularly interact across multiple markets and with senior leaders in a $30+ billion enterprise.
- Knowledgeable. You’ve got experience working with affordable programs and interpreting regulatory rules, along with a demonstrated knowledge of fair housing laws. Developing, implementing, and maintaining affordability compliance programs is something you’re proud to display on your resume.
- A Strong Communicator. Whether in person, over the phone, across a video conference, or via written documentation, your writing, speaking, and presenting skills are clear and effective, demonstrating your ability to be articulate and understood.
- Detail-Oriented. You pay attention to the details and make a conscious effort to understand causes instead of just the effects. You don’t get bogged down in the details, though, as you realize that the big picture is important, too.
- Efficient and Effective. You handle pressure well and do so with confidence. And when a tight deadline comes up, you organize the tasks to be completed —including quality checks— and focus on how to re-prioritize your other tasks to meet the timeframe.
- Approachable. You naturally create a comfortable and open atmosphere, drawing people to you and opening the door for questions and conversation, which allow you to create value and deliver substance to your business partners.
- Self-Starter. You demonstrate initiative and have the ability to work effectively without a lot of direction or guidance from your manager. If you’re given a task or assignment, you can be counted on to complete it thoroughly. You’re also self-motivated to keep busy with tasks that add value to the organization.
- Organized and Accountable. You are flexible and able to juggle the needs of changing priorities of the business, while also keeping the critical details straight.
- A Team Player. You are known for serving as a resource and trusted business partner for internal groups. Participating in cross-functional projects is the type of work you love.
- Document and interpret the requirements associated with affordable programs in place. Perform oversight of program requirements to ensure the company’s obligations are fulfilled.
- Maintain the company’s affordability database related to your assigned region(s)/portfolio of properties.
- Develop, maintain, and disseminate policies and procedures to ensure Equity Residential’s apartment communities maintain compliance with local affordability restrictions, including income certifications, marketing and tenant selection plans, application processes, waitlist management, leasing, turnover, and reporting.
- Conduct training and onboarding for on-site team members who are responsible for compliance with affordable programs.
- Foster and maintain relationships with regulatory oversight agencies in assigned geographical region(s) as well as with on-site property teams, regional leaders, and investment officers. Partner appropriately internally to ensure revenue management teams generate compliant rental rates for affordable units.
- Own program reporting which may include preparing reporting packages to ensure that periodic reporting is accurately completed and timely submitted.
- Monitor expiring programs and work cross-functionally to assist with the transition to market rates.
- Recommend affordable compliance strategy for new lease ups related to compliance requirements, advertising, and lottery processes.
- Stay abreast of legislative and regulatory changes that impact the assigned affordable portfolio.
- Participate in special projects, as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree or 5+ years of experience or equivalent combination of education and experience working with affordable programs, financial eligibility determinations, interpreting regulatory rules, and/or implementing compliance programs.
- Solid understanding of affordable programs, interpreting regulatory rules and requirements, and implementing compliance programs.
- Strong communication and presentation skills – able to speak and write in a clear and articulate manner.
- Team player that demonstrates flexibility and the ability to integrate and work well with others.
- Detail oriented and well-organized, with an ability to multi-task and effectively prioritize various responsibilities.
- Must be computer literate and comfortable using the Microsoft Office Suite and Google platform.
- Proven strong work ethic, ability to make decisions, and work under tight deadlines without sacrificing quality of work product.
- Motivated to succeed with capacity to assume increasing responsibility.
- Candidates holding certification as a Certified Occupancy Specialist or Tax Credit Specialist are preferred.
We recognize everyone has different needs outside of work. That’s why, in addition to a competitive benefits package (medical, dental, vision and paid time off), we offer many unique options to employees, like adoption benefits and paid time off for community service projects. To learn more, view our Total Wellbeing page here.
401k Retirement Plan
Short Term Disability
Long Term Disability
Internal Training Programs
Stock Purchase Plan